why do drug addicts even have babies ? (mostly venting)

i was watching this fictional show today. in which this couple is stoned 24/7 and their 6 month old baby is crying and hungry all the time. i mean it was just a serial show but it brought tears to my eyes. i mentioned it to my husband and he told me that i no idea how many couples are out there who are doing the exact same thing. just the thought of it makes a lump in my throat.
i have a 3 month old myself. and i would absolutely die than leave him hungry and crying, let alone get high !
are these people brainless or heartless ?

i am so very against abortions. but wouldn't it be better if women like these just get their babies aborted rather than have them and ruin their lives? i mean they're ruining their own, who cares.. but an innocent baby.. helpless, hungry and crying just because his/her parents are too stoned to take care of him/her... ??? i don't know. i might be wrong. maybe im being too emotional dramatic.. but do u think they should be having babies ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• angryNo!   People shouldn't do a lot crap that they do. It is a messed up world we live in, somehow babies get through it, most of the time. My heart goes out to the little ones that suffer bc of neglect.  I get really upset to.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 9:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• you know the saying it takes all kinds, well it really does. i'm a child of a very broken home with drugs, social workers, assault, and all kinds of scary stuff a child of only three or four should never know about. i was VERY VERY EXTREMELY LUCKY, my aunt got custody of me when i six, after my mother dropped me off at five and never really looked back. my aunt never really said anything bad of my mother but i know she felt very sorry for me knowing something of what i grew up in. i was also very lucky that i came through that bc it taught me a lot about life even if they were life lesson's that didn't make sense at the time and some that never will. i can literally look back on my scars and know that each and every one of them built me up to the person i am today. i know right from wrong and was taught things that so many will never know.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• re these people brainless or heartless ?

*************************

They are ill and need help.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• addicts arent always addicts by choice...you can NEVER understand addiction until you have experienced it. i was on long term narcotics for pain associated with cancer and after i was taken off them i thought i would literally die or go insane without them. my body was fully dependant on opiates. as a social worker, i have ALOT of training and experience dealing with addicts...but i seriously knew NOTHING about it until i experienced it. my perceptions have completely changed. i would never condone children being abused or neglected, but i am VERY against children being taken from thier parents unless the child is in serious danger or distress and i would NEVER advocate for forced abortions of any kind.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• This subject really bothers me also. My step sister is a drug addict / alcoholic and she has a 8 year old , 1 year old and pregnant again. Of course all by different daddy's. But I think she keeps doing because my step mother takes care of her babies while she runs off and uses drugs. She has missed birthdays and christmases and it sickens me that people like this can have children. While you have people like my best friend who is a wonderful person and mother and can't get pregnant right now. And what makes me more mad is that we have to pay for these people's and their childrens healthcare and food! But you have decent people out here trying to earn a living and take care of their kids and can't get any help! If a child cannot keep you from doing drugs, then nothing can!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 10:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Half the time they r so addicted to wat eva they drug of choice is the last thing they thnking about is birth control.So that's y they have babies wich is sad because alot of babies r born addicted to wat eva the mother was on.I knw this grl that did alot of cocaine whn she was pregger's and her baby went thru withdrawl syptoms and it was so sad cuz that baby cried alot and always had to go to doctor's appointments,not to mention that DHS was on her like a moth to a flame.People dnt think clearly whn they r on drugs.
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• They have no sense of control, or moral values either. Some regrettably see the baby as beneficially, meaning ppl with feel sorrier for them and give them money for the baby and they use it for their habit instead. Then you have another group that truly feel bad for putting their child in the prediciment but just aren't strong enough to do the right thing.... I guess we never really know what their feeling or thinking unless we were ever in their shoes....
    eyezofblue76

Answer by eyezofblue76 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My cousin lost both of her kids because of this. She lost her 3 month old the day she was born for having 10 different narcotics in her system.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Me ex bf and his new gf just had a baby in sept. and thank god that the state took the baby away. He was born addicted to oxy cotin, she also smoked cigarettes/weed while pregnant. Poor baby and i feel bad cause that little baby boy is my DD's half brother. Fortunatly i have full custody of my DD and she doesnt see her father at all. They arent even trying to get the baby back, they dont work, dont have a car and they sleep wherever they can usually at friends houses their family has basically disowned them. I think about that baby everyday, he was born 2 weeks early, only weighed 4 lbs and spent 3 weeks in the hospital :( Me ex is in jail right now for theft and drug possession charges and I hate to say it but he is better off where he is now, the baby is now staying with the grandparents and they are in the process of adopting the baby.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• They're addicts and you're questioning their logical and moral thinking? HA!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2010