Is your 3 year old a tantrum thrower?

My daughter is absolutely HORRENDOUS when she gets mad. It is unbearable and embarrassing! HELP! She screams, stomps, kicks, shrieks, flails on the ground....she looks possessed! Then after she calms down she is back to being sweet again. My oldest NEVER did these sort of this so I am completely baffled and have NO IDEA what to do. Everything I have tried does very little to help the situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No.
    Jilli83

Answer by Jilli83 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Oh it never ends :-( I keep getting told you'll deal with tantrums till about four or five. I am hoping it doesn't happen that way for us, my 2 year old has been doing tantrums since about 14 months.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 10:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• She wasn't at 3, but she is at 4.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 4:48 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My son was. Usually when he was over tired. He´s 4 now and much better although he still has meltdowns when he´s over tired or hungry.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• For my son we just moved to restraining him, nothing else worked, I keep an old carseat in our hall and we he's throwing a fit I put him in it and leave him till he's done, if it's in public I put him in the car, it used to be a once a month thing but its down to every few months now. He just gets frustrated easily and doesn't always know how to express it,
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My son does this when he is tired. If I can not get him to stop (not by giving him what he wants), I send him to his room to finish. He goes in there and when he is done he comes out.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:01 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• YES OMG! I know how you feel! I have a 3 year old daughter as well. I thought that I lucked out and got a nice, sweet child that lbehaved well. Boy, was I wrong. She turned 3 in October and it seems like after that 3rd. bday she is a different kid. She does the same thing and it is SOOOOO frustrating. She doesnt even care if she gets in trouble or a spanking, she literally tellms me to do it she doesnt care. I donno what to do!!
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 11:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• My middle child was (and to some extent still is) like that. Spectacular, pyrotechnic meltdowns, often had to restrain her. Slowly as she learned to express herself better verbally it got better, but she still gets upset easily and out of proportion to events (she's 5 1/2). A big help was getting her a punching bag, a real one not inflatable. Once she had permission to lash out at something, she was able to focus the physical part of her anger/upset.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:21 AM on Dec. 26, 2010