What is your child learning?

Just curious to what everyone else's child is learning in preschool. This is my son's first year. So far he has learned all of his letters. He recognizes all of them most of the time. He can count to mid 20's. He has learned the months of the year, days of the week, seasons, continents, and planets. I want to make sure he is ready for kindergarten...and will turn 4 in February. I am just wondering when he will be able to write his name and recognize the sounds of the letters. I try to work with him...but he has NO interest with me helping him....ONLY Ms. Amy! LOL!

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 9:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like he is doing wonderful. He will be writing his name very shortly and it sounds as though he will definitely be ready for kindergarten. My LO loves showing me everything she has learned.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• He is doing good but preschool isn't necessary to prepare for kinder
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he is ahead. my daughter is already 4 and she just learned her abc's, colors, numbers 1-20, days of the week and thats it
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Science: earthquakes, nature, volcanos, all kinds of things. Spanish: basic introduction and fun vocabulary words, songs, sayings and cultures who speak Spanish. Geography: all the different continents, countries, their flags, and cultures of people from those areas. Music: recently a unit on jazz - how to scat and famous jazz people. Math: bionomial cubes, puzzles, counting, adding and subtracting, shapes. Ballet: self explanatory. Yoga: also self explanitory. Reading: phonics and letters grouped by sounds and function. Writing: practicing writting by tracing and then doing on his own. Art: painting, pottery, and learning of famous artists. Practical life: setting tables, washing dishes, cooking reciepes, ect. Group time and sharing of course. Lots of outside play. A ton of things really. I'm amazed sometimes at what he comes home with.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• LOL...I forgot my son learned about ballet...he was not thrilled with it! He would come home and tell me he didn't want to go to dance class. I had no clue to what he was talking about until the newsletter came home.
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Well, his ballet is paid for separate. The ballet company comes to the school and any parent who wants to enroll their child can but you pay extra for their tuition. Not included in the tuition each month for his school. In some ways I think it is really cool that he is learning so many neat concepts. On the other hand....I didn't even learn to read until first grade. I couldn't do half the things my son does now. Or I should say I didn't have as much knowledge as he does. I am amazed because he appears to have more in terms of learning - so why are schools failing so badly if kids are learning so much more? I try not to focus on what he is learning - just that he is learning and shows growth. We could also have him learn violin but I eventually had to draw a line with what I thought was the most doable for him. I don't want to over do it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My son learned all that last year. I taught him that. He also can write his name, all letters upper and lower case, and right now we are up to 70 in counting. He does go to preschool but for us it is mostly socialization. They just teach what I am teaching him at home as well. I am also teaching him how to write his numbers.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• wow! he learned about earthquakes, that's awesome, my son's pre school must be delayed because all they are learning is letters, colors, numbers, shapes, how to write their name, mostly basic stuff. i need to ask their teacher a few questions, lol.
    KateMc

Answer by KateMc at 1:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Hmm, I homechool, but for my littlest one we work on numbers, colors, and motor skills.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:41 AM on Dec. 26, 2010