Has anyone taken antidepresntes during pregnacy ???

Years prior i have had ppd with other two pregnancy. I'm afraid that this is going to be the case with baby number 3 . Not sure to wait until i have baby . Or have them begin them before. Then their is the breastfeeding issue..

pinkdot

Asked by pinkdot at 10:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you sound like me!!! I have suffered from depression for 11 years, had HORRIBLE ppd with my first and I was terrified about getting it again (I also had breast feeding issues too!!) I went back and forth about getting the anti depressants during my pregnancy but I personally decided against it. Luckily (if you can call it lucky) I, like you, have suffered from it before so we know what signs and symptoms are which is a great thing! Most of the time people have no idea what they are looking for. So I am now almost 11 weeks PP with my second daughter and no depression issues!! Its great. I have been so paranoidd but so far so good. I guess the point of my ramblings is to say that just because you had it doesnt mean you will definitely get it again, so if you dont want to go on them you dont have to!! But of course, if you feel more comfortable staying ahead of the game then that works too! =) Gosh, I was no help at all lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i had them in the first 4 months of my second pregnancy because i didnt know i was pregnant. i stopped after i found out thoough.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 10:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I took one- effexor, which ws previously considered safe, but was downgraded during my pregnancy to "possibly unsafe" (C or D) because it is related to paxil- not for any problems it caused. My OB at the time had wanted to up my dosage for pregnancy, so I was glad I didn't do that. My son is fine.

Before I was pregnant with my second, I quit (which ws nightmarish even stepping down gradually- I don't think it would hve gone well in pregnancy) and my new OB (totally different practice/outlook) was annoyed. His take on it is, anti-depressants might pose a slight chance of a risk, but untreated depression in pregnancy is proven to be more dangerous to the baby than the drugs.

Just something to think about, and discuss with the people of your choice. It's not an easy decision. But at the time I wasn't really depressed anyway
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I took 450mg Wellbutrin XL and 100mg Trazodone the whole time I was pregnant. Wellbutrin is considered safe to take. I was scared to death I was going to get ppd, but never did. Actually, I felt great! It didn't affect breast feeding either.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 6:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2010