Do you have insurance to cover if something happens to a child you are carring for?

Someone said if you do inhome child care you need to have coverage if they are injured or hurt to cover their hospital stay. Is this true?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 10:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• It probably is different in every state. I would google home daycare insurance Georgia or whatever state you live in.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My cousin has run a Daycare for many years. She would never be without the insurance. A little boy fell and cut his chin in her care many years ago. The family sued her out the wazoo which was ridiculous. Sometimes kids fall..and you can't wrap them in bubblewrap. She won the case..but was glad she had the coverage. We live in a 'sue happy' country.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think it would be the smart thing to do
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Shouldn't operate without it -
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• you should have legal and liabilty. its not the same. liability covers the cost of the injuries Legal covers if you get sued.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would think it would be required then again I could be wrong
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• YES!! Your home and everything your own are considered assets, and our sue-happy society would be able to take EVERYTHING you own and then some for the smallest cut or scrape!

You should separate your business from your personal assets, incorporate yourself (I recommend becoming an S-Corportation, as opposed to Sole Proprietor or LLC as the S-Corp provides more protections and individuals can absolutely become a corporation!) And carry liability and legal insurances. I would carry the maximum coverage, and whatever that premium is per year, divide the cost by 12 months and again by the number of children in your care, and add that cost into your rates. For example if the premium costs you $1000 per year, and you take care of 5 children, then your would tack on an extra $16 per month (or $4.50 per week) per child--not too expensive when you look at that way! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2010