Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Do you have parents sign a release if you need to give a child CPR or call 911?

When doing in-home care, do you have parents sign a form in care you need to call 911 or do CPR on the child?

Answer Question

Asked by WalknWithGod at 10:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 18 (5,044 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Good question. I'd say they'd prefer you did cpr than let the kid die but what do I know.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • WHAT?! YOu have to sign something for that? -If anything happened to my girl I would want anybody who's capable of doing it to get started on the CPR. If it's an emergency that requires CPR you can count on the kid being dead by the time the paramedics arrive.
    If you can you HAVE to do it. I work in a medical profession and if I attent an emergency situation and don't do anything to help, people can drag me to court as I am trained for this.

    Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • If I did in home care yes I would have parents sign a paper giving consent for me to perform CPR on their child.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • Not for CPR but a medical release form yes. Because if you're giving cpr I would hope that you're calling 911 and the hospital can't legally treat without consent unless the person is over the age of 18.

    Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • if you have passed the red cross course you should have a card saying so and you are able to preform cpr and protected no matter what the outcome. refered to as the good smaritan clause.

    Answer by karensue65 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • You don't have to have consent to do CPR; in fact, anyone who is certified in CPR is epxected to perform it and you are protected under the Good Samaritan Law There is a thing called "implied consent" that says if a parent or guardian is not present, then it is implied that you have their consent to perform CPR.

    As far as the 911, I think some daycare providers do have parents sign a consent form that allows the DCP to take reasonable steps to ensure safety, including but not limited to first aid and calling emergency services.

    Answer by SherriPie at 10:00 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • Not if you hold a valid certificate! I am a former paramedic and have been teaching CPR/First Aid and a number of other Red Cross courses for over 25 years, and the Good Samaritan laws will protect you whether you need to perform life-saving measures as a reasonable expectation of your job requirements or not--so long as you stay within your level of training!

    In the case of a day-care provider, your job is to keep the children in your care safe. So the expectation of performing CPR/First Aid in the course of doing your job falls under IMPLIED CONSENT. However, you need to have parents sign a medical waiver that states their understanding of this implied consent, as well as obtain their child's medical health history, pediatrician information, and preferred hospital should the child need to be transported and the parent cannot be reached (time sensitive issue).

    Answer by LoriKeet at 11:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.