Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Do you have to retain a lawyer in case a parent sues you for a child's injuries?

Answer Question

Asked by WalknWithGod at 10:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 18 (5,044 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Your insurance company should take care of this.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 10:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • It depends on why they are suing you. If it happened at your home and you have home insurance than the PP is correct, your insurance company should take care of it if it is a liability issue.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • Most law offices offer free consultations, you could always call and ask.

    Answer by Averylee85 at 3:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • It depends. You could get one so you can defend yourself against her case. More often than not, your own insurance should cover it.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 9:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • Insurance covers the cost of the injuries NOT THE COST OF BEING SUED AND A LAWYER, That is a common misconception, If you have legal insurance, then yes, if you have liability insurance for your business NO its not covered and if you want to go in yourself into court against their lawyer, dont find one.

    Its not the best decision to go into business with out legal insurance. I have legal insurance and its the best thing I have ever paid for unexpected thing like costs for damages is great, but legal covers the legal of the events.


    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • I'm not sure there is enough info here to give you a current answer, but if you are sued, you do need an attorney.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • I think I would wait to see IF this parent sues you and what your insurance companies do not pay for, and THEN I would retain a lawyer to see what I could recoup from fees or judgments that were not covered.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 11:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • In our family we have a" family lawyer" he handels everything, but I have a large family and my grandparents/parents keep him on retainer. Mostly he handels wills, divorces, custody issues, and helps make references if we need a criminal lawyer

    Answer by lstrickland at 9:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

  • Your homeowners, or renters, insurance should cover this.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.