Do you have to retain a lawyer in case a parent sues you for a child's injuries?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 10:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Your insurance company should take care of this.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It depends on why they are suing you. If it happened at your home and you have home insurance than the PP is correct, your insurance company should take care of it if it is a liability issue.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Most law offices offer free consultations, you could always call and ask.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 3:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It depends. You could get one so you can defend yourself against her case. More often than not, your own insurance should cover it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Insurance covers the cost of the injuries NOT THE COST OF BEING SUED AND A LAWYER, That is a common misconception, If you have legal insurance, then yes, if you have liability insurance for your business NO its not covered and if you want to go in yourself into court against their lawyer, dont find one.

Its not the best decision to go into business with out legal insurance. I have legal insurance and its the best thing I have ever paid for unexpected thing like costs for damages is great, but legal covers the legal of the events.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure there is enough info here to give you a current answer, but if you are sued, you do need an attorney.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think I would wait to see IF this parent sues you and what your insurance companies do not pay for, and THEN I would retain a lawyer to see what I could recoup from fees or judgments that were not covered.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• In our family we have a" family lawyer" he handels everything, but I have a large family and my grandparents/parents keep him on retainer. Mostly he handels wills, divorces, custody issues, and helps make references if we need a criminal lawyer
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Your homeowners, or renters, insurance should cover this.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2010