WERE YOU EVER TOLD YOU HAD TO TAKE PARENT CLASSES OR

DID YOU EVER TAKE THEM JUST TO LEARN MORE ABOUT RAISING YOUR CHILDREN

19angie74

Asked by 19angie74 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have to take one before I can get divorced. Haven't done it yet.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No, my SO was a child psychology major, and my cousin is majoring in child development, as well as my best friend, so I got to get a lot of info before I had my son and we have been applying concepts where necessary
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• When my son's father and I split up we both had to take a class called "Kids First".
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I never took any parenting classes...(maybe I should). My theory is everyone knows what you are supposed to do (i.e. instil good eating habits, disicpline, work-ethics, no constant TV as a baby sitter, etc....but the reality is sometimes you just do what you've got to do ...to survive). If someone told me I need to take a parenting class, I will look them in the eyes and tell them to shove it. As a parent, I've learned not to judge other parents. We are all trying to do the best we could. What brought up this question?
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I ONLY ASKED THIS QUESTION 'CAUSE IM A RECOVERING ADDICT WITH ALMOST 2 YRS CLEAN SO IM LEARNING ALL OVER AGAIN HOW TO BE A MOTHER ESPECIALLY TO THE 6 AND 7 YR OLD BUT TRYING TO APPLY IT TO THE 15 YO AND MY ONLY 17 YO DAUGHTER
    19angie74

Comment by 19angie74 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No, but I have a background in child development. But, I do think ALL 1st time parents should take a parenting class because parenting isn't also instinctual. Maybe if parents have to take a class first, there will be less abuse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have taught parenting classes and teach parenting techniques on a regular basis. I read and read and read....and I am going to become a certified play therapist so I can continue to assist parents. Parenting classes and therapy are not just for parents having a difficult time or court ordered because they did something wrong. It is for parents who strive to be the best parent they can be and to try and find new ways of thinking and doing. It is never a bad thing to step outside your comfort zone and try new ideas out. Not to mention the support you get from your peers in a class. EVERY parent has challenges. And no, parenting is not common sense. If you never had good parenting or were in a situation growing up that is unhealthy then there was no such thing as common sense parenting that you experienced.  I love parents who can put themselves out there for their child.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• ok...that's really heavy stuff. Please disregard my previous answer. I am in no position to advise you on this subject. Sorry.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No on both counts.
    shortcake120

Answer by shortcake120 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2010