D YOU BELIEVE THE BEST WAY TO PUNISH YOUR CHILDREN

IS TO TAKE THINGS AWAY, GIVE THEM TIMEOUT OR IS THERE ANY OTHER ONES THAT ANYBODY USES THAT THEY CAN PASS ON SO I COULD PUT IT TO GOOD USE. I ALSO DO A STCKER CHART

19angie74

Asked by 19angie74 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• We take away toys he's abusing (throwing, etc), and use time outs, but he's only 2, so I am sure things will evolve as he gets older. I hope time outs continue to work!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• well it depends on what they did .. nothing major take something away but for other things time out .. the time out kills them! lol
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If we teach them to behave correctly then we don't have to punish them. Keep in mind punishing is NOT discipline. There is a vast difference between the two. I think it's best to talk with them, explain what they did wrong and get them back on track. Teach them to be the type of person you want them to be

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Mines only two as well. I take things away and use time out right now. When we babysit onr nephew (whose four) we usually take toys away and talk to him about his behavoir. That works well with him...waaaaay better than time out lol
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 10:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My friend has done all those and is now doing "community service" when her daughter misbehaves. She asks around to family and friends if they have chores that need to be done and her daughter does them for FREE. She has had her daughter move piles of bricks, wash cars, wash floors, etc. Also, apologizing for inappropriate behaviors is a good idea. Sometimes, natural consequences works very well. I have done all that you have stated but I do NOT spank, ever.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It depends on what they are being punished for. We do a mix of everything and make a point to fit the consequences to the crime...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• admckenzie....yes..we do need to teach and show them what we expect from them....but what kid doesn't still try to push that boundary? And when they do push, punishment is deserved. How else do you expect to teach them that behavior = consequence. Otherwise they will grow up thinking when they do something wrong someone will give them a "stern lecture" (shaking in my boots)
    Anonymous

Answer by tyfry7496

GREAT idea!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't use punishments...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I believe in time outs or quiet time in their room.
    I also believe in taking things away. Not only toys, but privliages as well.

I DO NOT believe in spanking. Grounding. Or anything of that nature. I don't think grounding is effective, and I don't believe using violence to punish is a good method. I think it only creates anger, fear, and resentment and teaches the child that violence is how to handle situations. Which should never be the case.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010