when my granddaughter was born she inhaled feces

they asparted her and then at 2 days old the day she was released in the evening she stopped breathing turned blue...she had an infection ( she is in a hospital ) thats cleared up with antibiotics but she continues to stop breathing they dont know why they are planning to give her coffee im not sure why

grammacoffee

Asked by grammacoffee at 10:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know my son did this too. What happens is they poop in the womb, its called meconium as soon as my water broke it was tinted greenish brown so they knew he pooped way before he was even in my birth canal. My son was fine though he didn't get an infection due to it they asparated him too. Don't know about the coffee thing, they should ask a dr first.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We'll keep her in our thoughts and prayers

Answer by admckenzie at 10:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure what the question is.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 10:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• They might be planning on giving her caffeine...b/c appears to protect against apnoea, a condition in which breathing stops for more than 15 seconds.

I have heard of this before...hope she is ok soon :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• This is also very common.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Coffee is a stimulant, and it's safer than giving steroids, so that's why they're doing the coffee. It can actually really help with the breathing. I'm sorry to hear she aspirated the meconium, but hopefully, everything will be fine soon. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's a stimluant that reduces the risk of forgetting to breath.
    Anonymous

• The hospital should have run tests while she was there to see if she had an infection. That should have been done automatically when they saw meconium. I had meconium with both of my kids. I think they automatically give them antibiotics here when they see that. Both turned out to be just fine and we were released from hospital.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Aspirating the meconium can be no big deal or it can lead to life-threatening complications. There is much that is out of the parents control. It is very important that the mother breastfeeds. If she didn't breastfeed because of the baby's health issues it's not too late. She may need a rental pump and the help of a lactation consultant. Human milk helps sick babies get better quicker and can be life saving.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• "I'm not sure what the question is. "

It's a bit incoherent, but my guess is that she's wondering why they're planning to give the baby coffee.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:28 AM on Dec. 24, 2010