How do I get my 14 month old to drink her MILK from a sippy cup??

My DD already drinks from a sippy cup as along as its water or juice... I am now trying to get her to drink her MILK from a sippy cup AND BEFORE putting her down... Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take the bottles away and she will have no other choice.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Maybe she doesn't like the taste? Try giving her soy milk instead (make sure it has the fortified vitamins- not all of them do). She may prefer the taste. Some kids just don't like it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• yeah, take bottles away, if she wants a drink bad enough she will drink it. worked with my son, only took two days.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You don't. A child does not need milk. As long as they are getting other dairy sources (yogurt, cheese, etc) and other liquids, they are fine. Keep offering the milk in a sippy and don't worry so much. Just put an ounce or 2 in the cup.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Shes so used to drinking a 6 oz bottle before her nap and then another 8 oz bottle at bed time... You think that trying to take the naptime bottle first will help?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I dunno. I never forced my kids off of bottles. My oldest was exactly the same except he took his milk before bed because he had already been weaned to water during the night. I just let my kids have their milk in their bottles until they were ready to stop.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Try a straw or even an open cup with supervision. My son never really took to sippy cups, but he loved straws.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:25 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Has she had milk in her bottle (so you know it's not the taste)? My dd did the same thing. She would drink water from the cup, but had to have milk in the bottle. So we started by giving her a cup of water with a drop of milk in it. Then the next day a teaspoon. Then a tablespoon. Then an ounce, etc, till after about 2-3 weeks she was drinking just milk out of a cup. Then we worked on decreasing her bottles as she drank more and more milk from the cup throughout the day. We slowly dropped them, but her morning bottle was a struggle. One morning when she was 13 months I didn't have the bottle ready, but she saw milk in a cup in the fridge, and wanted that (it was better than waiting for the bottle).From then on, no more bottles! She still likes a cup of milk in the
    morning though.

if you want her off the bottle, actively work on it now! If u wait, it will be a lot harder to change their habits as they get older.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 6:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• if there are no more bottles to drink from then she can't have one....get rid of all bottles. It is a power struggle right now and she is winning...especially since she does drink other things from a cup. there is no "reason" why she can't drink the milk from a cup as well. be strong momma this is just 1 of matter battles you will come across
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 26, 2010