When a toddler hits thier head- when do you maka decision to go to the hospital?

I was just wondering...My kids are 4 and 23 months...they fall and what not on a regular basis just like all kids... However tonight- my 23 month old (who REFUSES) to sit in a high chair to eat- sits in a regular chair at the table. Tonight we were eating dinner and she kept standing up in the chair-- while she was standing on the chair-she fell backwards out of the chair and landed on the ceramic tile. The back of her head hit the floor- and I couldn't figure out if her bottom hit the floor first. Anyway- This happened over an hour ago. She does not seem to have any swelling. She has been joking around and been playful with us...my hubby just gave her a bath..her eyes look ok... So what do I do...how do you know when you should take your child in? I know I worry too much...but I can't help it...and I am wondering ...

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 11:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• If she is not vomiting, dizzy or complaining of pain I would not worry.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Whoa, I'd be scared, too!! If she's acting normal, her pupils are equal, round, and reactive to light, and she's not lethargic, no swelling or bleeding, I wouldn't worry. Keep an eye on her for a couple of days, just in case. If she starts to act funny, then take her to the ER. Hopefully, that rubber head came in handy! It's AMAZING what kids can make it through!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• She sounds fine. If there is no bleeding, large bumps, no dialated pupils, vomiting, or pain she's probably fine.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• When she is bleeding and it won't stop within 20 minutes, when she is vomitting, acting combative or lethargic, complains of a headache, is dizzy then she needs to be taken to the ER.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• She doesn't really talk yet- to tell us if her head hurt- but I'll bet if she was in any kind of head pain she would make it known! I just went and played with her - she is being loving and happy (putting on her snow boots and walking around/wrestling with her Mickey Mouse doll)...my husband just went to put her in bed... (he's not a doc- but he is a dentist-- so he's had some medical training- he reexamined her pupils in the light and said they were fine...and again no swelling, no vomitting, etc... I'm just totally freaked that she fell backwards from a standing position in a chair... it happened so fast... and we are always making her sit down when she does that. I feel horrible... but I think we'll check on her in another hour before we go to bed.
    newmamanew2town

Comment by newmamanew2town (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think the Mom's gave you great advice.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• When my youngest was 18 months he had a nasty fall and it left a huge knot on his head (which is good because it was swelling out, not in). I was told to let him sleep. Wake him up an hour later. If he was confused call the doctor. If he was fine, wake him up two hours after that. Again, if he's confused contact the DR. We had to do it for 3 days! I would call the nurse line, just explain what happened and how things looked. It sounds like your dd is fine to me! But with something like this I'd rather be safe. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I was told by a doctor that if the fall was hard enough on the head there should be some swelling like a knot and if there wasn't that was when you should be concerned because there could be swelling in the in side. I don't know But that was a few years ago when my daughter had a bad fall. If she wakes up from her nap fine she is probably alright. You have been told what all to watch out for. So good luck.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2010