When a toddler hits thier head when do you know it needs medical attention?

I was just wondering...My kids are 4 and 23 months...they fall and what not on a regular basis just like all kids... However tonight- my 23 month old (who REFUSES) to sit in a high chair to eat- sits in a regular chair at the table. Tonight we were eating dinner and she kept standing up in the chair-- while she was standing on the chair-she fell backwards out of the chair and landed on the ceramic tile. The back of her head hit the floor- and I couldn't figure out if her bottom hit the floor first. Anyway- This happened over an hour ago. She does not seem to have any swelling. She has been joking around and been playful with us...my hubby just gave her a bath..her eyes look ok... So what do I do...how do you know when you should take your child in? I know I worry too much...but I can't help it...and I am wondering ...

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 11:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Health

• If she starts to act lethargic or her pupils swell, or she has any swelling of the head at all, I would take her to the emergency room.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 11:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• well what i do is always go off how my child is acting. its a good sign that she is happy and playing and doesnt have any problems with her eyes, but it not swelling isnt always a indication of how bad a head injury is because it can swell inwards-but i think she would be showing some type of symptoms if that was the case....i didnt mean to ramble my bad, haha...oh and you dont worry to much hun your a mama and thats what we do!
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Projectile vomiting is the one sure sign of a concussion. Other than that if they are lethargic take them in.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I GUESS she will be sitting in her high chair next time
    this is first of many to come if she not bleeding and not lifeless
    i guess she bounce back ,just keep a eye on your little tom boy
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010