Why is it so bad if gay people can openly serve in the military?

There was a question posted earlier this evening about this issue, and I just want to understand why people are against this.
As a veteran who served with several gay members (and I am bisexual), I can tell you it's rarely an issue when fellow service members find out. Yes, there are always going to be a few people, but many gay servicemembers were some of the finest I served with.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 11:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because some people are judgmental and homophobic. Their fellow servicepeople are good enough to be side by side with until they find out they are different. It should NOT matter, gay or straight...still good people.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's not bad at all!

The important point is when you are at work no one should be talking about sex, Just do your job!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Idk... because a lot of people are ignorant, judgmental, homophobic, and just plain stupid.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's not bad. I served with a lot of gay people in my 12 years of naval service. It did not affect the morale, job performance, etc. My husband shared a can with a gay guy in Iraq and that guy never once pounced on him in his sleep. This too will become something that we adapt to. Kind of like women on subs, women on combat ships, women on aircraft carriers, women pilots, african americans being able to serve with their white comrades. This too shall pass. The military is always able to adapt and overcome. Let the politicians stay out of it and let the military handle it. There are few politicians who just need to back off because they are too old to serve anyway but have no problem offering a "yes" if it comes down to sending the troops to war.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:29 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I don't see the big deal either. They all are fighting for our country where others can/will not. They all bleed red or put their clothes on the same way straight people do.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 9:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Women are starting to phase into subs effective 2011. I always check my facts before posting on here. I live the navy life and have lived it since 1994. I am on the up and up about what is going on in the navy.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=52954

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-04-29/us/women.submarines_1_navy-combat-positions-female-officers?_s=PM:US

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• "Did you guys read the earlier post? I actually reported it because the OP was getting nasty and name calling"

Yeah, it was childish and disgusting. Some people just have no life and feel the need to make other people miserable because they are so miserable. I figure the troll who posted that question was really just a 50 year old greasy bald man living in mommy's basement. Poor guy, you gotta almost feel sorry for him...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• cause ignorance is ignorance
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have never understood this. I am not gay but have many gay friends. Let me just say, I can't imagine anyone CHOOSES this. The daily scrutiny is so painful. Not an easy life IMO.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Why is the OP of that question being called a troll NP? They were anonymous but they were very civil and sincere in their discussion.Oh I get it if anyone doesn't agree fully then they are a troll.The OP had no problem with serving with gays.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2010