infant pukes all the time?

my girl is 3 weeks old, and everytime she eats, its almost like she eats too much,3-4oz, or too fast, and it come shooting out her mouth and her nose! its quite freaky! anyways, should i change her formula? shes on enfamil gentle ease, could she need soy based instead of milk? im going to take her to the dr, i just wanted to get other mammas oppinions. thanks!~

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest had reflux bad when he was newborn. He puked all the time like that, and you could just tell he was in pain. Put him on baby Zantac (i think....now i cant remember. One of the reflux meds anyways) and he was a whole new baby! Talk to your pediatrician about it!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 11:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• yes , see doc right away
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Try a slower flow nipple, and definitely take her to the doctor. She might have really bad reflux. Keep her upright when she's eating, and take frequent breaks until you can get in to the doc (I assume you can't in the next couple of days!).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• have you seen the experiment with spit up? they took a bottle of three oz and pulled out about half an oz and poured it on the counter, that way you can see how much half an oz looks like! i was surprised by how much it really looked like. it may be that your baby is just spitting up a little after a feeding and you could reduce the amount you are feeding her by half an oz or split feedings up every two hours or so until the problem goes away. my son puked up a lot too, but it was only my breastmilk that really had him sick. make sure that the milk you are feeding is warm enough too. good luck!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Try just burping her more through the feeding. My baby pukes when she doesn't get to burp...almost never if she's been burped well during the feeding.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 11:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My daughter is almost 14 years old now but when she was a baby she threw up every time I fed her. She was bf and they told me to continue because it was reflux not my milk. They didn't give meds then so she didn't take them. She did this for a full year and then outgrew it. She is healthy with no problems at all now. Good luck momma.
    SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 8:58 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• She may need to eat less and more often. A newborn's tummy is very small about the size of her fist. They aren't able to regulate their own intake from a bottle and will overeat. Soy formula is very, very bad stuff and the AAP doesn't recommend it's use unless a baby has a rare genetic disease like galactosemia. If a baby can't tolerate regular formula then hypoallergenic formula is recommended. Some of the special formulas can cost $30 a day or more. It's not too late to breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:44 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My so n had this same problem. I recommend you take the baby to the doctor and tell them what is going on with the feedings. Insist they check her for GERD. This what my son has and is on .8mls of Zantac 3 times a day for it and since he was 2 months old and he is a different baby. Hardly ever spits up or anything.

My friend also had a baby who did this and he had a blockage in his stomach that required surgery to correct. Be persistent with your doctor about it and keep going tell you find the cause. THAT MUCH SPIT IS NOT NORMAL NOT MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!
    4texansinky

Answer by 4texansinky at 10:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010