Belly sleeping

I know that everyone says to make sure your baby sleeps on their back to prevent SIDS. But what if they sleep so much better on their belly? Right now it's either that or have her sleep in the bed, which is a major big no-no. Anyone have a belly sleeper?

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 11:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yup

Answer by admckenzie at 11:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• DS slept on his tummy from the moment he was born. He's always refused to sleep on his back or even on his side. Always his tummy. We co-slept (safely!), and always kept a close eye on him. No blankets, no pillows near him, no stuffed animals, etc. Made sure his head was turned enough for him to breathe easily.
    Do what's right for your family. If she just won't sleep on her back, then keep her on her tummy, but keep a very close eye on her.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I might have to try it tonight. She is just not sleeping in her crib at night and I end up pulling her into bed. We both get sleep that way but it makes me uncomfortable to do that.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If you have any bumpers in the crib, they need to come out asap, too. FYI. Put her in a blanket sleeper/sleep sack thing (or other warm PJs if the house is cool at night) so she doesn't get caught up in a blanket.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I dun have the bumpers up yet but thanks. I will leave them out for now then. She's been just in the sleeper because the bedroom gets warm as hell
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Keep the bumpers out, period. They're never considered safe, and once she can pull herself to standing, she can use them as leverage to climb out of the crib. They're always a choking hazard, tummy sleeper or back sleeper.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wonder why they even sell them then...what a waste. Probably to still make money by selling the set.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding, sleeping with them in bed is actually a great way to do it!

I had a tummy sleeper - my first one. I was nervous about it though and would wait for him to fall asleep SOUNDLY and then flip him over. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• If you breastfeed, you don't smoke, and there is no ETS in the home, bed-sharing can be done safely. You can go to google and search using the words safe co-sleeping. There are many things that increase the risk for SIDS and they add up. To determine an individual baby's risk you add up all of that baby's risk factors (formula feeding, overheating, ETS, ect.). Tummy sleeping is just one risk factor. Some experts believe bed-sharing is protective for SIDS.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:35 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My little Emma has slept on her tummy ever since she came home from the hospital
    SimplySybil

Answer by SimplySybil at 9:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2010