How much time do you spend with your kid(s)?

Okay...Maybe I am just feeling a bit guilty, but it seems like even though I have the time...I dont' actually spend much of it with my kid. SO. Take out work, household chores, grocery shopping, sleeping, reading the paper (or whatever your past time is), homework, drs, etc. How much time a day do you actually spend bonding with your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• OP answering anon, just to close the question :D
    Because I don't see how there can be a 'best answer' to this question.
    Anonymous

• I had to think about that one for a minute. The chores well my two oldest do them with me and we talk while we do it about school and this that and the other. In addition to that I do my best to make sure they each get 30 min of one on one time with me. Doesn't always happen but I try sometimes even letting them stay up later so we can chill together. We might play a game or read a book or find funny pictures on the computer to send to Daddy (my DH is deployed) I also try to do a craft project with them every week so thats about an hour or two depending on My littlest is 18 months and we spend quite a bit of quality time together. I get the guilt thing sometimes too. With hubby being gone there are times when everything just gets a little overwhelming and I just want to be left alone for an hour.
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 9:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I know what you mean. I had a full time job, house work, running my son to his doctor appointment and therapy (those were not fun bonding times). So now the house work slides, its messy but oh well. And I quit my job and only work when someone is out sick or on vacation. I still have him in a day program (he's two) but I use that time to clean the house up, shop, go to my doctor appointment, and run him to his things. I pick him up early, we play, we have special days where he doesn't go in at all and we do fun things - zoo, bookstore, nature walks. He loves it. It is a little bit more relaxing. After dinner until his bed time both his dad and I play with him. That is his time for both of us. I'm lucky that my husband does equal work with parenting and chores.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• We have breakfast together in the morning before work and school. Then I pick them up from school and we are together all night. We have either karate class or soccer almost every night. I go with them and watch everything - I never leave. We go to the grocery together (even my husband goes with us) we do chores together. We play games together several times a week, watch tv together, do homework together. The only time I don't have wiht them is when they are at school and I am at work and when we are sleeping. I don't want to miss a minute. I love it!

Boofer

Answer by Boofer at 10:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I SPEND ALOT OF TIME WITH MY BABY, MY POOR 8 YEAR OLD HAS BEEN GETTING SHAFTED LATELY. WE HAD A DATE THE OTHER DAY THOUGH. WE ARE GONNA TRY TO START MAKING THAT HAPPEN ONCE A WEEK.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• OMG, I feel so horrible because I didn't realize how little 'quality and bonding time" I spend with my children. But now that I've read this question, I'm definitely going to start. Thank you to whoever posted this. And of course, I am posting anon because I'm sure there will be those who judge me.

Anonymous

• This is the OP :D
    Boofer. Please don't take my question as meaning I don't enjoy being a mother to my child. I do very much so. It just seems like with everything else going on...I have very little 'us' time. And my child is a toddler, so sometimes even when there is 'us' time...my child would rather play beside me.
    Other Anon....I understand. And I am glad I am not the only one.
    Anonymous

• Anon, I"M GLAD I"M NOT THE ONLY ONE EITHER
    Anonymous

• Who has the right to judge? I had to quit my job because I was so darned tired and had no energy. It is hard, weather you work from home (as a domestic goddess of course) or you work outside the home. Either way, we moms are busy people and do not get enough credit. Seriously, if most men juggled our schedule friends, family, coworkers would be marveling at how he can even manage all that. The praise he would get. But when it is a woman - well that is what we are expected to do. So I don't pretend I can do it all. And if you come over and my house is a mess I make no apologies.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Maybe the op is saying there's a lot of judging and assuming here at times which there is. IDK, just MO.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2008