Another question about Jesus...

All of the questions about Jesus today has me wondering what other people think he did between the age of 12 and 30. There are some theories I think are plausible, but I'm just curious what others think.

So, this question is for anyone who believed Jesus existed historically--just as a man, as the Son of God, etc.

What do YOU think Jesus did between the ages of 12 and 30?

Why do you think this period is not covered or covered very little in the Bible and other texts?

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i think he learned and taught , listened , and was empathetic as he lived his life
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think he grew up, probably learned about carpentry from Joseph. Did normal child like things.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Do you think he did any extensive travel while he was learning and teaching others, or do you think he just stayed in the same general area? There are a lot of theories about him traveling during this time, that's why I was wondering what others think or what they've been taught.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• While we don't know exactly what he did, I'd have to say that he probably led a relatively normal life of a Jewish boy. He more than likely excelled at His studies, but as far as them being significant to His purpose as Redeemer, probably nothing. I've heard Him traveling too, and I don't find that very likely - Jewish carpenters weren't very rich people.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Between Luke 2:52 and 3:1, approximately eighteen years of Jesus' life passed without comment, What was his life like during those years? From Mt 13:55 and Mk 6:3, we learn that he grew up in a large family, that his father was a carpenter and that Jesus learned the trade. Since Joseph is never mentioned again in the Gospels, it is likely that Joseph died before Jesus began his public ministry and that Jesus provided for his mother and younger brothers and sisters.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• That's some interesting insight popzaroo
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Interesting! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Personally, I think there's something to the documents and accounts they've found of Saint Issa (Isa=Jesus in Arabic) years ago. So, I think he traveled to India during that time (or at least part of the time). Obviously, we don't know for sure what he did during those years, unless some kind of archaeological evidence is found to prove he did or didn't travel to any of these other areas, but I'm pretty persuaded by the Life of Saint Issa document and interpretations I've read. I was just curious what others thought. It's quite possible he just led a quiet life as a carpenter for many years as well.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would think that he spent time with family and learnt how he could help ppl, I am sure he probably liked to build stuff and play with kids. Relaxing with neighbors and spreading the word of God from a young age until the Ascension.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:40 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• While we don't know exactly what he did, I'd have to say that he probably led a relatively normal life of a Jewish boy.

Which is something to keep in mind when people want to speak in absolutes about what he did or didn't do. Like blanket statements saying he "never sinned" or was "perfect".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• If he lived a "normal" childhood into adulthood, than SURELY he sinned as all people of that age do. I think this part of his life was "convienently" left out b/c it would point to his human"ness" rather than the put upon "God" qualities others wish for him to have.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2010