just wondering

does anyone know if you can get a positive pregnancy test at home then whenyou go to the doctors for a blood test it be negative get your period and still be pregnant i mean do you think the doctors could mess up because i know people can have there periods while being pregnant.

kaszilynn88

Asked by kaszilynn88 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• blood tests don't lie.

you can get a + at home and fetus stops developing causing the period and - blood test.
    Anonymous

• You can get a home test to read postive, have some bleeding like a period, and then the blood test be neg. It's called a chemical preganacy. OR You can still bleeding when your preggers like a period but it's not actually a period. It's typically implant bleeding but it can be other things. I had this very badly with my daughter. I know the blood test is alot more acturate then at home tests though. If you still think you are pregant next month or in a couple of weeks get another test just to be sure. Good luck :)
    Rishakia

Answer by Rishakia at 10:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Blood tests can be wrong.but in my case they told me that I was pregnant and a really wasn't I was shocked.try not to get ur hopes up and keep tring.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• You can have bleeding similar to a period and be pregnant. However, blood tests detect the HCG more accurately (and therefore sooner in the course of a pregnancy) than a urine test, OTC or in the doctor's office. Not sure how long between tests, but HCG in the blood lasts several weeks after a m/c, so unless it was a month or more between urine & blood test, answer #1 from 'anonymous' is not likely to be the reason for the discrepancy.

There are medications and supplements that can produce false positives though. Talk with your MD about your nutrition as you continue to try. And good luck!
    Manda-Panda

Answer by Manda-Panda at 1:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2008