What do you think about toddlers and TV?

I grew up watching TV quite a bit and it didn't hurt me, so I'm not quite sure how much faith I have in the "TV is horrible" theory as long as children have a balanced life...

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I see no problem with a child watching age appropriate television during the day. I do not think they need it on 24/7 or that they need on in their rooms or anything though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:33 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Some channels like NickJr has educational television 24/7. Some can actually be beneficial. My son a year ago did not understand much from Playhouse Disney. Now, he is starting to recognize more things than he did back then and he's made a major improvement since he has been in Preschool. Overall, the more exposure to educational learning, the better off he is.

I do not have the opionion that television is evil to kids, just that supervision is always needed.
    FoxyLove

Answer by FoxyLove at 12:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• There is a certain point when it becomes ridiculous. My 4 year old niece has a t.v. and dvd player in her room, and has to have a movie playing at night, or she can't sleep. She's just so used to falling asleep to a t.v. in her room. I have a 2 year old, she's not into t.v. yet but I like to watch youtube videos and I let her watch them to. She LOVES hamster time hamster morph and Kittens inspired by kittens. She thinks they're great- laughs everytime she sees them. But I don't turn on the t.v. and tell her to watch it all day long.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• ok if kids shows arent violent etc...
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I see no problem with it in moderation, but what I don't agree with is when parents use it as a babysitter. My son will have limited tv time because I want him to hands-on things as well. Plus, I was him to have lots of experiences daily. He's 15 months old now and watches zero tv. He shows no interest, so that's fine with me. I won't push it on him and would rather him not watch it at this age, to be honest. Though...it would be nice sometimes, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• as long as they don't watch it all day long and do smth else besides that,it's ok. my toddler watches it in the morning,before she takes her nap and 20 min before bed time and she doesn't ask for more. she likes to entartain herself with books. more important,we walk instead. when the weather is so nice,we go for a walk or to the park or take our dogs outside,whatever.there are so many things out there,not just sitting on the sofa and do nothing. that's why so many kids are fat and lazy and it makes me sad,because their parents do not want to bother with them and just let them do whatever,so they can do smth else without their kids. it's wrong. i think that's why we do have kids,to spend time with them and give them most of our love and attention,not to ignore them. i am from russia and i grew up there. the tv was never an issue in our family,my grandparents spent enough time with me and i barely watch it now.
    crouse3

Answer by crouse3 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I have no problem with it in moderation. I try to limit the amount of time he watches and especially WHAT he watches. I used to limit to about an hour a day, but I realized that he rarely sits to watch tv for more than 20-30 minutes anyway, so sometimes I'll leave something like PBS on in the background while he eats breakfast and plays in the morning. We just put one of 30 minute videos on, and he was gone within 10 minutes to play with cars. I often turn it off entirely, and just play some of his toddler tunes too, since he seems to like some kind of background noise while he plays. That's actually helped him learn the lyrics to a lot of songs and the words to several nursery rhymes, and sometimes we sing and recite them together (as best he can at age 2 1/2) while we're reading books before nap time. I think just making sure they do a variety of things each day is what's important, and moderation in all things is key.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• she use to watch play house disney all the time but she really didn;t enjoy it so she watches pbs now and loves it. and she also watches nickjr at my parents. she is showing signs of learning the letters and she is imitating the tv and learning so much now. she goes to daycare too so she has a little bit of everything. she loves to play with her blocks and her babies too. so she is very well balanced. i always remember playing alot with my toys and watching tv also so that is what i would like for my dd. as long as its balanced and she enjoys it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• the tv is usally on but its mostly kid shows (playhouse disney,nicka jr,pbs kids) or music. DS really isnt into tv but loves music which i find him dancing around and laughing a great thing,but hed reither play and run. i think age correct tv is fine and the kids mellow for a little while is great but theres a limit kids of no age should sit in front of a tv all day or inappropiate shows on tht tv like alot of kids do, the tv is not a babysitter! thts just my opion.
    braylinsmommie

Answer by braylinsmommie at 1:16 AM on Dec. 26, 2010