Teaching religion...

I am not religious because my mom is Mormon and my dad is Catholic. Due to this, I never went to church and was never taught any kind of religion. I find that this has made things more difficult for me. I want to give my son at least a little bit of a foundation so that HE can make the decision for himself. How do I do this when I know nothing about the topic???

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• We attend a Unitarian Univeresalist fellowship. Our "Sunday school" is called "Religious Exploratiion" and is a course in developing knowledge about religions around the world and learning about your own spirit. A typical UU congregation is about 1/3 atheist. We do not teach religion. We show children how to access resources. We do provide adult supervised visits to various houses of worship and set up meetings so the children can meet children of various faith backgrounds.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Research...or try to take him to a few services....If you do not feel like going you can talk to them about droping him off then picking him up after. After my parents split up me and my sister would still go and they picked us up later. When he finds one that is right for him then he will let you know...if not then try another one. Just remember there are some things that you will need to look into yourself because they dont always have a church for every religion. Good luck and im glad you are trying this for your son. I might not believe in what many other people do but I do feel so much better that I believe in something.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• what are your beliefs , tell him about god and jesus if you have read the bible at all , tell a kid they can have their own beliefs when older , tell them about cults when age appropriate to ,
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Maybe you can spend a little time in each religion, go one sunday to a pentacostal church, next sunday to a catholic church, next sunday to a Jehovah's witness hall and so forth until you find one that you love, the one that fits in your heart.
    KateMc

Answer by KateMc at 12:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Children's Catechism - super easy questions w/simple answers.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2010