Cloth Diapering

I've considered it before - and am again - problem... DH is NOT on board - lol. I have told him I can diaper both babies (1 is 9 months, 1 is 22 months) in cloth for what I spend per month in disposables. He thinks it'll be MUCH more costly to start. He also thinks I shouldn't put a foster baby in cloth. I don't know why not - I can still use disposables for visits with her family, etc - but at home and places I'm there - I'm thinking cloth may be the way to go.

Why? Money is tight... DH broke his back at work and is about to be off again for 3-9 months for back surgery. I think not worrying about keeping diapers on hand would be a welcome thing.

Am I crazy? LOL

I already do tons of laundry - I have 5 kids. So I can't see that being too terribly different.

AAAMama

Asked by AAAMama at 12:32 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I worship cloth diapering. :) I too have foster babies and yes I'd send them to visits with a disposable on. My hardest part was laundry. I despise laundry for anyone. I simply loved cloth diapering. I think disposables have a stinky smell to them anyway and then one peepee and they stink. Smells bother me. With my cloths they never had that yucky smell. I got/have the AIO's. I ordered them off ebay new. They came from China but I don't care. I got them quicker than I would have imagined. Mine are Fashion Baby. They came in all kinds of colors so a lot of the time I'd just let her wear those under her dresses, etc cause they matched anyway. I also never had leaks except one baby who peed a flood at night time. I just carried a ziplock bag in my diaper bag for dirty diapers. Over time the cloths will definately pay off. Good Luck!
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Maybe get some covers that have snaps or velcro and look somewhat like a disposable he'd be more accepting. My mom used to use cloth diapers with my younger brother and I remember the rubber pants and diaper pins- that's probably what he's thinking of when he thinks of cloth diapers. Maybe explain to him that cloth diapering has come a long way and it's a lot easier to do now.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• There are also groups on here for cloth diapering, and you can buy used ones off of other moms if you're not opposed to that. Will make the initial transition to cloth diapering a little cheaper.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I used cloth diapers with my son, and even spent the money buying those fancy ones with the adjustable snaps and all. I found the whole process rather simple, although there is a TON of laundry. But I bought 2 dozen diapers, and did the wash religiously last thing at night so that I'd have fresh diapers in the morning. Over time, you need less and less per day, so you can get away with doing less laundry.

I really liked using the cloth diapers. The only down side was that the cloth diapers were so bulky that clothes didnt' fit quite right.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• The cheapest way is with econobum prefolds and covers. For $100 you can diaper a child from birth to potty training. I use them and also pocket diapers. Pocket diapers are nice b/c you stuff the insert to whatever absorbency you need and then just put it on the child like a reg. diaper! They come in one size where they fit from 10-35lbs!! Alittle bulky for the littler ones but your two are big enough that that wouldnt be a prob. There are plenty of sites you can buy preloved which I do to cut down on cost. If you or anyone else on here is interested please pm me and I will be more then happy to help you with any questions you have. There are some cloth dipes that look just like those disposables. It's not all pins anymore!! I don't use pins!! I only have one child and I do 2 loads of diapers a week but they are not full loads. I just don't have enough to go past 2 days. If ya want anymore info please just pm me!! Goodluck!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• There are lots of super cute diaper covers and I think you would really save money going with cloth. Show hubby how much you pay each month already, and how much you would be paying to get enough diapers to get you started. Also, if he has a problem with using them on the FC, only do cloth on your own baby and let him see the price cut that way. Maybe it will change his mind.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I love cloth diapering.

Jilliansdrawers.com is a great cheap site for getting started. Tell DH to shut up and just do it. If their are no sposies in the house he will fugue it out.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• The only foreseeable problem with cloth diapers is that you will be doing extra laundry because the soiled diapers need to be done right away because they will start to smell and babies go through plenty of them. I started off by using disposables and midstream changed off to cloth diapers and purchased what are called diaper covers that go over the diapers. I was on an environmental kick thinking about all those dirty disposable diapers in the landfill. Can you imagine how many could possiby be there from all the babies who are diapered in them? My guess is plenty.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2010