just curious. what kind of an efffect does a handicapped child usually have on a relationship?

we just found out our baby may have some serious issues when born. possibly death :*(

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 1:16 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• well i have never heard of that but you will see how little it matters when she gets here. You will see her and no matter your expectations you will melt at the sight of this beautiful baby! Caring for her will come pretty natural(no matter the need). educate yourself and when she gets here you will know more on how to care for her. I believe that this child was given to you for a reason. One that you may not understand now but when you look back ....you will be willing to do it all over again! She is the child meant to be in your belly right now and she is meant to be in your arms soon. Nothing past that really matters right now. I sure hope you and your hubby find a way to put your mind at ease! GL you guys are gonna do great!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• depends on each individual parent , their beliefs , ego , patience , empathy , acceptability , and much more , the first thing to think about is KEEP YOUR KID YOUR FIRST PRIORITY , and never forget the child feels inside what you cant tell till you educate yourself on their diagnosis's , put yourself in their shoes.
    i am the mom of a disabled child who is 10.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:23 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I am mom of 3 special needs kids. I am single. i agree with letstalk747......depends on alot of factors.first priority should be child but please make time for each other where you and hubby do not talk about baby. Try to ask for help when you need it and also allow for some grieving on his part and yours....grieving doesn't mean you do not love the baby God gave you...you are only human. GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• also it is ok to be scared. You will feel at ease at times and at times scared all over again. Just try and trust your gut and be a team with your hubby so you aren't feeling this alone. My babies are 13, 12, and 9 and i still get scared about things to do with them from time to time. Just try and do it together!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Im 31 I have a son who is 9 and haves downs and been dovice 2 if they can't love him they can't love me I'll would just leave my last hub I felt like he didn't like my son because my son wanted his help because he couldn't put a movie in the DVD player he told my son that he was driving him nuts and I over heard it so I left his ass god gives them to us not for other people to be mean to them . There are some people out there that does care but they are so hard to fine they didn't asked to be here I was only 21 years old when I had him and I think god every day for the love and blessing he gave me throw this little guy . So it's never eazy so I wish u the best but if they dont want them then they should not want u
    Nash79

Answer by Nash79 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• thank you... i figured it depends alot on patience and all. just scared. hope things change before she gets here..
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum is what we were told she has. i posted it up in Pregnancy..... its going to be tough but im willing to do it for her
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I sorry I didn't read all of your question it Verry hard befour I had my son with down I also had a son befour him but Michael pass away at 3 mo old at home then I got pregnant with my son that have downs I didn't know there was any thing wrong until I was 7 mo he stop moving so I gone to the hospital he was in heart failed Kinney was not worken a breathing machine and need blood it was a big mess I'm not tring to scarre u . Babys that have a problem are much more strong will then a normal baby he was in the hospital for 6 mo of his life he got his heart fixed off the breathing machine kinney gone back to normal no more feeding tub if I could show u a pic of him I would today there is a lot that the dr can do we are lucy to have that u just gotta believe in god and he will help u all the way he did me and he never give u more then u can take . God bless u I wish u the best and I'll pray for u
    Nash79

Answer by Nash79 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2010