Please help me understand why some people believe "The Devil Made Me Do it"?

I hear this a lot from(some) Christians, "the Devil made me do it" type responces for when Christians sin. When someone says or implies "The Devil made me do it, it sounds like people don't have a good mind of their own and therefore can't and shouldn't be held accountable for what they do. That reasoning doesn't ring true to me, Where's the merit in blaming the Devil ( as some do, not all)? Why don't people take full responsibility for their sins? How will they ever stop sinning if they think that it isn't their fault?

FishingMama

Asked by FishingMama at 10:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have never heard anyone say that and seriously mean it. I do agree with you though. I did have a guy I supervised give God as an excuse. A coworker of ours came to me and said that this guy ran him off the road so I spoke to him about his careless driving and he responded to me with "It doesn't matter how I drive because God will protect me" What kind of BS is that!? I tried to explain to him that Gods way of protecting you is by giving you the sense to be careful and make good decisions.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• See now I agree that G-d (Universe, Buddha, Holy Beings-Buddha wasn't a G-d though) protects me :) I just don't ascribe to the devil thing. And you are right too, G-d did give us a good brain to make decisions. So it's a truce sort of lol!

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 10:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• They're following Eve's example. (Genesis 3:13) It's human nature to want to blame someone else for our own shortcomings.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Lexylex, do Christians want to overcome human nature ( assuming that Christians view human nature as bad is relevant to my question, kwim?) Is that something ya'll strive for in your practice?

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 10:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• That is up there with the twinkie defense. Doesn't fly with me.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• lol, what's the twinkie defense?!?!? LOL
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 10:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• IMO HERE!! In general (with some extreme exceptions) those that use the phrase "the devil made me do it" use it as an excuse. They do not want to face that reflection in the mirror and admit they may have some aspects about themselves that need to be change. Furthermore, those that may get caught with their hand in the cookie jar may want to point the finger at someone else as a deflection of the real issue. If you are a mom of more then one kid then you'll understand that: Child A gets caught doing something wrong but right away say "But MOM, he/she did xyz" (he/she being child B). Child A wants to deflect the real issue and point the finger at someone else. Generally those that use it haven't grown-up! They still are acting immature and don't want to admit to their short coming. (There are extreme exceptions to that).
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Learned a new one "twinkie defense" I like it :)
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• honest opinion - They need someone to blame other than themselves.

I'm a Christian and have never blamed my actions on the Devil. I know that I make my own decisions and no one else has control over them. "The Devil" may place a temptation in front of me but it is MY decision to do it or not. Same goes with doing God's will. God will place a path in front of me but he leaves it up to me to follow it.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• why blame yourself when you can blame another? it's the blame game and everyone is invited to play, no accountability required!
    My husband use to blame his addiction on me-didn't work for long. He tried blaming friggin ghosts for it! {seriously} just as long as it was not his fault everything was fine and i was wrong. Glad he learned accountability,.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2008