What is considered taking advantage of the system and what is fraud?

I know a lady who seriously takes advantage of the welfare system and any or all community services! She brags about how much money she gets from churches food stamps and utility help. Just today she told me that she got $1000.00 to pay her electric bill from some community place and last month her church paid $700.00 towards her electric! She has said before that her church has paid more on her house than she has! Her church gave her $500.00 to get her kids Christmas. The best one she has told me so far is that she found a help center for her horses, she does not even pay for the hay to feed them. She has other people living with her that are "supposed" to pay rent and never do. On top of the church money for Christmas she is getting her 9 yr old daughter a cell phone and her 12 yr old a new one! I just don't get it! She is obviously got her priorities messed up, why get cell phones when you can not pay your more pressing bills without help? Who can I call? This is driving me crazy when we work so hard to stay ahead of the daily pressures!

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 2:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• shoot that would p--- me off to,maybe u should call the church and let them knw wat;s up.God dnt like ugly and trust me he's seeing wat's going on,but he may need a lil help getting the message along,give him a hand.Is she a member of that church?Maybe u should let her knw that's abusing goodness and that it's wrong touse,someone else that really needs it coulda had that instead of miss selfish....
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• "Taking advantage of the system" would be accepting government subsidies when you don't REALLY need them, even though you MIGHT technically qualify, or taking the subsidies for as long as possible without trying to improve your financial situation. Fraud is fraud--meaning you are not being truthful about your financial situation in order to obtain freebies--under-reporting of income and income earners contributing to your household income!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• how is this fraud?
    SimplySybil

Answer by SimplySybil at 8:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Call the church?? You can also report public assistance fraud online.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• why are you friends with this person? .......i think i would be talking with someone with in the church.......legaly i dont think she is doing anything wrong but moraly this is bad and maybe if someone from church speaks with her it will change.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• If this woman can afford to have horses, she should have never been given public assistance to begin with. Horses are luxury items. She could have sold them and had plenty of money not to mention all the money she would have saved on their care, but she took that route instead. Sad.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• What are you going to say? Stop getting upset about some lady getting hand outs. Are you serious? I guess you are one of those moms that think you work the hardest. Well I have news for you, get off your soap box and go clean something. That lady probably has more problems than she will lead you to believe. I can not believe you. I hope you are happy with yourself, bc I am disgusted.  Here is a clue for you. Instead of showing your as*, why don't you be a good neighbor and ask her if she needs any help with anything. Talking to someone is help, you know!

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:40 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Here is the thing... I am not on a soap box! I have talked to her I have helped her I have given her money I have watched her children I have driven her places I have taken her kids to doctor apptointments. My point here I think is when you brag about all the freebies or hand outs you get or make it clear to everyone around you that you need so much then DO NOT struggle to maintain what most of us consider to be luxeries. Horses are not cheap! Cell phones for a nine year old child are not cheap. Not to mention the three other cell phones on her plan. I know the difference between struggling to make ends meet and taking advantage of the generosity of good people. The money I gave this woman was supposed to go to help pay for the roof over her head, what I actually paid for was dinner and a movie with popcorn and drinks for her and her kids! How do I know? I just happen to be taking my daughter to the same theatre!
    Noosa

Comment by Noosa (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• talk to the church or any other charitable donation centers about her...let them know shes a scammer....there are other familys out there that might need the help more seriously .....cant stand leeches on society!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It is only fraud if she is lyied about her income (it usualy goes by household income) the number of people living in the house or how much the bills are if they are helping her pay for them. For the food stamps you would have to call the office that she gets them through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2010