Cream Cheese cake icing. Refrigerate or not?

I made a Red Velvet cake with Cream Cheese icing 2 days ago. I put it in my cake container & left it setting out on the table, and did not put it in fridge. Will it be ok to eat now? Does a cake with Cream Cheese icing have to be kept in fridge?

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 6:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• Nah I think its probably fine. I use to make red velvet cake all the time and never even thought of that. And of course left it out. And it was always fine.
    MrsMommyBoss

Answer by MrsMommyBoss at 6:32 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101025193854AASmXxB

If you read the best answer there it gives a better explanation than I could ever have given. I've made quite a few and no one has ever got sick from it - we never used a fridge either.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Its just fine. The only way I would worry is if someone has an extremely sensitive stomach (ie a nauseas pregnant woman).
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Also from Yahoo...........I work at a bakery and we keep our cream cheese frosting in the cooler. the milk solids in the cream cheese will spoil if left out too long! the cream cheese frosting will also soften, causing the cream cheese frosting to turn melty and smell funky...just like leaving milk out in open air!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It should not be left at room temperature. I know lots of people do this, and no one has gotten sick, so far that they know of. but it's taking a big chance with people's health, especially very young, very old, pregnant and anyone ill or with undisclosed immunity issues.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I'd recommend refrigerating. There is a large proportion of cream cheese in the icing, and you wouldn't leave a bar of cream cheese sitting out.

Answer by Bmat at 9:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Cream cheese is to be refrigerated. Check the package. The cake sounds good. What time is dinner? LOL Merry Christmas
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 11:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2010