How can I get my 14.5 month old daughter to let me brush her teeth?

My daughter resists my brushing her teeth. She cries and pushes my hand away.

LsMamaL

Asked by LsMamaL at 10:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she's wanting to be independent. My son was that way until we figured out he wanted to do everything himself. We started letting our son when he was that age do it his own way for a while. We'd just load his brush up with the toddler toothpaste and let him go at it. Now that he's comfortable with the brush he will let me do it for him every now and then. I just make sure he get's plenty of water in the mornings and evenings to help wash his mouth out.
    mcmgirl88

Answer by mcmgirl88 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Just give her her toothbrush throughout the day. She'll chew on it and it will clean her teeth without you having the hassle and frustration of trying to get it done. You might keep a couple on hand in case one gets misplaced! HTH
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 11:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My son did the same until we bought him a kids spin brush from walmart and now he ask to brush and make sure your kid likes the tooth paste they have many different ones. Also make it fun play with it and act like you are brushing your teeth and then she might want to be like mommy.

Good luck
    csanders5507

Answer by csanders5507 at 2:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• she wants to be indepentant i would let her do it herself,they maynot do it properly as we do it but shell think wow im a big girl now,encourage her
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 4:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i tell my twins that after mommy does it they can do it. then i sing a little made up song while i brush their teeth (all it says is brushie, brushie brushie, brushie brushie brushie, and on and on). then i hand the brush to them and tell them to sit on their butt-butts and brush, and they brush their own teeth. then after they're done, i say good job, babies! it's a little ritual we have, and it seems to work pretty well. every once in a while my DD will fuss a little while i'm brushing her teeth, but as soon as i get done and hand the brush to her she gives me a cheesy grin! good luck!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I tell my daughter that I'm tickling her teeth and we giggle and she lets me do it
    Madalynns_mom07

Answer by Madalynns_mom07 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my daughters pediatrician and dentist sayed to hold her hands and brush her teeth till shes old enought to brush right and as long as needed and front and backs. her dentist sayed that tooth decay happends in toddlers cause parents dont brush there childs teeth for them and lets the kid do it and not do a good enought job. so i hold my daughters hands and she crys but only cause im holding her hands and it only takes 2 mintues. and shes gets to finish up and brush her way.
    troubledkat911

Answer by troubledkat911 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• what i do with my twins (19months now) and started as soon as they were walking. i made a great step stool for their bathroom. two steps up so they can stand at a good height to reach the sink. they stand there and i showed them how mommy brushed her teeth then i would tell them exactly what i was doing. ex. "wet the brush, get some toothpaste, brush your teeth" i would (and still do) brush their teeth real quick and then give them the brush and say "brush your teeth" they havent really figured out exactly how to do the brushing but they are getting there, they started by chewing on it :-) but now every night we get ready for bed and they run the bathroom to brush their teeeth.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2008