Anyone ever hear the term "Hard candy Christmas"?

That's what we used to call it in the South when it was a difficult time, and all that parents could afford was hard candy for the children. Then it later just meant that parents were having a difficult time financially and could only afford a few presents for each child.

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 9:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• I knew about the song, but I didn't know what it meant.

Now I have that song stuck in my head, but it's cool, because I like the song.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:23 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Dolly Parton has a gorgeous Christmas song called "Hard Candy Christmas," that's where I learned the term.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Yes, I've heard that. And, Dolly Parton wrote a song by that name, as well.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I have heard that, but it's been years! I remember buying gifts for the angel tree one year and my great grandma telling me it was nice of us to help out others who were having a hard candy Christmas. Being young I felt so bad for those kids - I hated the hard Christmas candy!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• The only time I've heard hard candy was in a speciality store where they make a certain kind of candy. Like ribbon candy that is very hard. Hard candy in modern term is anything that is hard or solid. Merry Christmas & enjoy some "Hard Candy"
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 10:35 AM on Dec. 24, 2010