How do I get my baby to sleep?

She starts off in her crib but then when she wakes up she will not go back to sleep unless she sleeps in with me and her daddy. She is 12 months old and still needs milk during the night too. Help!

SimplySybil

Asked by SimplySybil at 9:33 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For all of time mothers have slept with and breastfed their young children at night. It's normal for children to wake at night and nurse until they are 2 or 3.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• we want our bed back lolz! She is bottle fed too not breastfed.
    SimplySybil

Comment by SimplySybil (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Is she actually drinking the whole bottle or just sucking for comfort? My DD is 10months and I thought she needed her bottle but she wasn't really drinking it. What I did was don't lay back down with her, if she is actually drinking the bottle then sit in the room (dark) and feed her then when she is done put her back in her bed. If she is just sucking for comfort then it is time to break her of that habit. Try putting rice in her last bottle before bed or feeding her rice cereal in a bowl. If she wakes up at night go in and put her down and tell her good night. Now here is where you'll have to decide if you want to do the CIO or not. I would research each method until you find one you think you would like to try and are comfortable with. Just remember since she has been doing this for a while it is going to take a while before it works just stand your ground you are the adult you will win! Good luck.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It's hard to change "normal" developmental behavior. Part of the reason humans survived was because mothers slept with their young and nursed at night. Even if she is/was bottle fed it is normal for human children to sleep with their mothers and nurse at night. If they are breastfed some toddlers may need to eat in the middle of the night. It shows how smart your daughter is that she wants to sleep with you and eat at night despite your efforts to change her behaviors. I mean that in a good way. Night bottles can cause bottle mouth tooth decay so doctors and dentists discourage parents giving toddlers bottles at night.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It makes you feel like crap but you gotta let her cry it out. If I had a night time crier I'd let them cry at least 10 minutes and see if they went back to sleep. If they didn't I'd go in with the lights off, not talk to them, but lay them back down, give them their passy back if they used one, cover them up, and just rub their little belly till they settled down. If they started crying after I walked out I gave it at least another 10 min and start that sequence over again. It's worked very very well for us. My 12 mo old went to bed at 9 last night and is still sleeping. BTW...gotta get the fella up. This will work but you will definately feel like an ass till she will sleep through the night. I think one of the big keys is you DON'T pick them up and you DON'T talk to them. Its a horrible feeling but so are a lot of other things we have to do as parents sometimes.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• All I have to say is NO CEREAL IN THE BOTTLE!!!!!!!! (had to say that because of a pp.) It's not uncommon for babies to wake during the night til they're older - my youngest was waking 1-3 times a night til he was 2 1/2. I'm not a believer in CIO, but you may have to try that if you're so desperate. If she's taking a bottle each time it could be due to hunger, so try feeding her more during the day & before bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I have to agree with Gaill on this one. Co-sleeping is normal and comforting for the baby at that age. Imo I would never let a baby cry it out. It just seems wrong to me. I never did it with my girls who are 13 and 11 and I will not be trying it with my 8 month old son, who I still rock to sleep every night and am very proud of that bonding time!!!
    4texansinky

Answer by 4texansinky at 10:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2010