How do I keep my 5 yr old in bed at night?

My 5 yrs old daughter has ADHD and always has a hard time going to sleep at night. She constantly gets out of bed all night or lays there and yells my name. Some nights she doesn't fall asleep until midnight and has to get up for school the next day. She seems to come up with the most creative reasons to get out of bed. I try to ignore her but she will start to yell my name and I have a 2 month old who is usually sleeping. She is on a low dose of medication for her ADHD but does not seem to affect her sleeping because she had this problem before she started the meds. If anyone has any advice please share.

Soulmonkey08

Asked by Soulmonkey08 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk to the doctor asap because the dosage or the certain medication may not be right for her. It seems to be be bringing out the insomnia. I'm sure that your doc can recommend something else for her. Good Luck!
    3boys2luv

Answer by 3boys2luv at 10:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I don't know about ADHD but what is your bedtime routine like? Maybe cut tv an hour to an hour and a half before bedtime, have her take a soothing bath (maybe with some of that lavender scented baby wash that calms babies before bed), turn on some soft music after she's ready for bed, have her lay down with her eyes closed as you read a poem or story to her softly.

If this doesn't work, ignore her excuses for getting up. Say nothing and take her back to bed. Again and again and again..as necessary.

You can also explain to her that even if she isn't sleeping she should stay in bed and lie quietly till morning because even then she is getting rest and rest is good, even if one isn't sleeping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• make sure she's full before 7:00pm, NO SODA, or drinks with caffine or sugar. Find out what her favorite things to do are, and tell her that if she doesn't start to behave, she's not going to be allowed to do the things she enjoys. (it sounds cruel, but a lot of children I know w/ adhd don't care if things are taken from them because they find other things to do)
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 5:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2008