How do you get your baby to go from formula to whole milk?

My son is 11 months and he is starting to refuse his formula. How did you get your baby to drink whole milk?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe I used to gradually add milk to the formula, like if hes taking a whole bottle make 20z of that milk for like a week, than the next week or so make it 4oz of milk and the rest formula.
    eyezofblue76

Answer by eyezofblue76 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• i've been transitioning my 11 month old. i started off giving her an ounce of milk and 5 oz of formula in her 6 ounce bottles, then weekly decreased the amount of formula by one ounce and increasing the milk by an ounce. she's now drinking just milk, but i have to warm it up for her first or she wont' drink it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I mixed a bottle half milk/half formula a couple times till I saw if it gave them diarrhea or anything.  Then I just gave them the whole milk.  It was quite simple all three tiimes. 

RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Babies should have NO (zero) milk before 12 months. Formula was invented because milk harms babies and can cause death. The harm may not be apparent for years. My digestive system was destroyed by milk my mother gave me. Until 12 mo your baby needs 32 oz of formula for proper brain development. You just have to get your baby to drink it or get breastmilk from a milk bank or other source. It's that important. Once babies are 12 mo they don't need to drink milk at all. They only need a max of 2 toddler servings of milk products that they can get from food they eat. Humans don't have to have cow's milk at all and can get calcium and protein from other sources.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• gailll it is mind blowing how unintelligent you are
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• How rude to call someone unintelligent! I have 2 master's degrees and have completed all my coursework for a doctorate in health science! My area of specialization is infant and young child nutrition.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:00 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• No milk in babies under 1 year old please it causes something called NEC and can be life threatening.. after your baby turns 1 give 2 ounces of milk in 6 ounces of formula week 1, week 2 4 ounces of milk and 4 of formula, week 3 6 of milk and 2 formula and in a months time you should have converted to milk

if your baby does not tolerate whole cows milk here's some ideas-- try goat milk or coconut milk instead -- if not try milk in the raw (you boil it tho)
    ok last thought milk IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT after 14 months old a well balanced with lots of dark green leafy veggies, citrus fruits and variety is a far better plan..make sure you get good natural found fat in the baby diet if you choose to axe milk for digestive purposes so things like coconut milk and avocado have TONS of what your baby brain needs for development and is actually superior in quality to cows milk
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Most formulas are MILK based... from cow's milk. To say a child can't have dairy until they are 12 months is silly... formula IS dairy. AND it is recommended that children start of foods such as cheese and yogurt several months before they are 12 months of age. In addition... there is nothing magical that happens on a child's first birthday and their digestive system.... most older babies can tolerate milk products just fine. The primary reason for formula/breastmilk for a minimum of 12 months has to do with anemia... too much regular cows milk can cause anemia... in addition it doesn't have all of the other vitamin and nutrients that the baby needs. HOWEVER... starting on some cows milk at 11 months old would not be harmful to the average child.
    Go ahead and give a few oz of whole milk/day... I wouldn't do more than 4-6 oz until he's 12 months personally
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:45 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• momofone is completely wrong....on all counts. Thanks Gail. You are spot on
    laynni

Answer by laynni at 5:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2010