• In the Spotlight:

help! my one monthe old wont sleep!

she only sleeps when someone is holding her. when we go to put her in her crib she wakes up minutes latercrying to be held again! any ideas on how to get her to sleep on her own or why this is happening?

madelyns_mom08

Asked by madelyns_mom08 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a new poduct that helps babies sleep better and longer called the magic sleepsuit. Check out the web site www.magicsleepsuit.com.
    Anonymous

• Will she spend anytime in a swing or bouncer. Try to let her get used to not being held all the time (even when she is awake). Try feeding her, then laying her down with entertainment. As long as she has been changed, fed, etc and you are near to monitor her, she should be fine. It may take awhile for her to get used to this, but in the long run you will be grateful for the free hands. Worse case scenario, try a sling.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Have you tried to swaddle her? also try putting her in bed awake but almost asleep and if you can let her cry it out if she is feed and dry then let her put herself to sleep good luck
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Two of the best things that I'm doing with my daughter and that have made me the happiest and my life the easiest:
    I am breastfeeding her.
    I am having her sleep with me.
    We tried the crib at first, too, and had the same issue that you are having. As soon as we started co-sleeping, she slept much better and I got tons more sleep (and therefore my life improved greatly). Walking around with her in a sling may put her to sleep and then it is really easy to lay her down without waking her up. Babies need to be able to be close to their mamas whenever they want (i.e. NEED) to be.
    For support breastfeeding and co-sleeping, check out La Leche League. There's likely to be a meeting in your area (www.lalecheleague.org). Feel free to message me, if you'd like!
    LsMamaL

Answer by LsMamaL at 10:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My daughter had the same problem with her baby only sleeping for short periods at a time. She used a product called the Magic Sleepsuit and her baby slept 5 hours at night and long naps during the day. It was great. Check it out at Magicsleepsuit.com. Several of her friends also have used it and swear by it. Good luck. annk517
    annk517

Answer by annk517 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008