how many times do you have to repeat yourself to your children?

i swear, i try and stay calm when my children are acting up. i really do. if they're doing something they shouldn't, like using my coffee table as a place to sit, i'll say the first time "please get off the table before you hurt yourself" and i just get this look like "uh huh, okay". sometimes they do get down, but then they go right back to it. other times they don't get down. so then my patience starts wearing thin, as i loathe repeating myself. so with a bit more firmness the second time, i repeat what i said the first time. and if i have to say it a third time, i raise my voice. it's the only thing that works for them. calmly asking them to get down does not work. why is it that i have to raise my voice in order for them to listen to me? i hate doing it. does anyone else have this problem? they are 4 and 2. its the 4 year old that i have to raise my voice to, the 2 year old will listen unless her older sister doesn't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Same thing here. I think kids like testing their bounderies, seeing what they can get away with. I'm not a yeller, and I hate raising my voice, but I do at the "third time" I have to say something.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Yep, I feel like I am talking to the wall most days
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 10:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Several times and then I yell and they start to cry.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:13 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• mine is 17 he mostly has to be told every day to turn off the lights and shut the door every day. LOL
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I tell you what your kids have toned you out and have no respect for your authority! A HUGE mistake parents make in raising a child is the fact that they never follow thru with a punishment. I was raised this way and raised my kids this way also and they DO have the respect of what I say because they know there will be a consaquence if they do not. Now, very rarely do they push a button but when they do I shove. My kids where raised with a very loving hand. Try goin to their level to discipline.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 12:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• OMG!do i have to REPEAT how many times i have repeat myself evry day.I swear my 3 yr old chooses not to hear me.LOL
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2010