Eating healthy & exercising but still putting on weight... ??

OK so I'm 26, my daughter's 4 and I've been overweight for some time, not incredibly overweight but it's enough to make me desperate to lose it. I eat 2000 calories a day exactly and in addition to this I do at least 1-2 hours of exercise a day whenever is humanly possible. I even asked a doctor if I was likely to lose weight with that and she said 100% yes. I've been doing it for 6 months now and I'm actually putting on weight!! I'm just getting fatter and fatter (a coupla pounds a month) ... I've cut it down to 1500 calories a day now and I'm still not losing any weight, I'm going crazy. I eat 5 fruit & veg etc, drink plenty of water. Any ideas?? Please! It's driving me out of my mind! :/

I split up with my husband over 2 years ago and I wanted to get my weight down so that hopefully one day I could find someone else - not just like a coupla one off flings i've had... I just don't know what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Health

• you can have an unlimited amount of vegetables in a day, 3 servings of fruit, 4 servings of protein, and 3 servings of complex carbs. always exercise in the morning before breakfast for at least a half hour and then exercise again right before dinner a half our of exercise and a full 15-20 min of stretching. 3 small meals a day and 3 snacks, no junk, and a bare minimum of 8 cups of water a day
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• exactly why I said screw it when the wieght I'd lost started coming back. I was sticking to the calories and whatnot ans STILL gained.
    after about a year of even trying to maintain and yet gaining back about 15 lbs I just gave up.

bleh

I hope you find something that works for you-or figure out the reason it's happening
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:20 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• charlot if the people on the biggest loser can do it...anyone can do it
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• well i'm concerned about your calorie intake. you should be shedding 1-2 pounds on a 1200 calorie daily intake (depending on your daily motivation too). in fact, why dont you sign up for myfitnesspal.com. i'm not trying to advertise, but its really up to you. i know i didnt think the site would actually would help me but i did everything in my mind and thought i knew everything there is to know about dieting, this site helped me lose weight 7 pounds in a few weeks but i jog everyday and log my food and it tells me how many calories i had and if i went over and whatnot. you can even add me as a friend if you like on that site. its free just to let you know. my name on there is americansugar80.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Are you gaining inches? It's normal to gain some weight initially as building muscle weighs more than fat. But it's the inches that tells you if you are losing fat and gain muscle. As we get older our calorie requirement drops so we have to either reduce our intake or increase our activity. I'm a little concerned about the way you are counting calories. That alone can add up to major weight gain. Your daily exercise, is it raising your heart-rate?

I'd keep a food log and then you can calculate the calories from that. You might want to try out Fitday.com. It's has a calorie counter as well. Keep an activity log as well. It may be that your just not exercising enough.

But, if you are really concerned, go back to your doctor to rule out any medical reasons preventing weight loss.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Have you had your thyroid checked?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Are you keeping a food journal? Are you actually measuring your food? You might be eating more than you think. Don't forget to include all those little tastes here and there, and don't finish your kids' plates. You shouldn't be exercising every single day. You need at least 2 rest days a week for your body to recover. Have you tried using a heart rate monitor? You want to keep your heart rate around 160 during normal exercise.

I've lost 35 lbs so far using exercise and clean eating. Here's a link to my journal about clean eating, if you don't know what it is.

Feel free to PM me if you want the details of what's working for me.

I also agree that getting your thyroid checked might be a good idea.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• What are you drinking and eating?
    Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.
    Build your meals around non starchy vegetables and fruits (7-8 servings in at least three different colors), whole grains (4-5 servings a day) and legumes (2-3 servings a day)

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2010