I'm so frusterated!!!

So ever since my SO and I have been together (3 years) we have spent every major holiday with his family, with one exception. This Thanksgiving I spent with my mother but I was only able to do so by having her pick my son and I up when my SO was at work.

Now my family has invited us to Christmas at their house. They plan on doing dinner.
My SO's family also invited us but they want to do breakfast.
So it would work perfectly.

Last night my SO said he never said we could go to my parents yet I am obligated to go to his. I feel forced to go to all his family functions yet he never goes to mine (and most the time I don't get to go)

What can I do about this? I rarely get to see my family and I miss them... and they have only gotten to see my son 2-3 times since his birth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• you are not alone- many of us dread the holidays because all of the bickering. One year we just went on a cruise to avoid everybody.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Sorry but I'd go to his then on to my family's house. I'd deal with the argument when I got home.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I see no problem with dinner with one and then breakfast with one if close enough to do both. If not just go cause it is the holiday and I could spend with my folks I would do it no matter husband goes or not.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Compromise. Go to his for breakfast and then yours for dinner. Don't let him force you to stay with his parents. I think its time to sit him down and talk to him. Say next year you go to his parents for Thanksgiving then yours for Christmas. Work things out.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I rarely get to see my family and I miss them... and they have only gotten to see my son 2-3 times since his birth.

That's not all his fault. You don't need his permission to go places. If he doesn't want to go, go without him
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• He is wrong your family should also be involved to in the holidays. Sorry but he sound controlling and a JERK.

I hate my In-laws and never keep my hubby from seeing them.

Tell him you will go later that day to your parents if he wants to okay if not okay, but you are still going!!!!!

Don't let control you it will only get worse, as you get older. One day you will wake up and parents would of past aways and there is no going back.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• See that's the thing... my parents only live 30 mins away so it's no problem. And when he is with my family he rarely speaks yet I am supposed to act like Mary Poppins or something... I feel like he is trying to control me... grr... sorry I just really need to vent
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It's hard for me to leave... he won't let me have the car keys and both of us are on the title so I can't do anything about it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• You have just as much right to be with yours as he does his and if he has a issue with it sorry about his luck keep his selfish hiney at home, and tell him you'll see him when your vessels is back in the driveway.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 11:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Ask your mom to pick you up and just go I do not understand this I never said we could go??? You need to sit down with him and tell him you are an adult and your child should be allowed to see both families. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2010