My almost 3 year old started wheezing in the middle of the night... has me a little concerned all our dr.s are gone for the day already, and are local er is terrible. are there any home remedies or should i just take him to the er?

momclark

Asked by momclark at 12:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Health

• Does he have a history of URI or wheezing? Is he on meds? Does he have asthma? Is he running a fever? When it comes to anyone, the ABCs are most crucial--airway, breathing, circulation. I'd take him to the ER. At least they can give him a breathing treatment and steroids if need be.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• vicks, put moisture in the air. keep eye on him, listen closely to his breathing watch his activity see if he becomes lethargic meaning he's slowed down from normal...you just might have to take him in and if you do take him to another hospital in another city if your not comfortable with your local one.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 12:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• i have asthma and when i am out of my meds a cup of coffee does the trick.....i know he is 3 but the combination of caffiene and steam relaxes and opens airways. my doc says it works becaue caffiene is a stimulant like the steroids in the breathing treatment they give.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My daughter had that i just bought a vaporizer and put the pediatric vicks vapor to put in there and let it run while she was sleeping and it hasnt happened since :)

Best of luck to you..hope all is well
    mandamarie19

Answer by mandamarie19 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• 20 to 30 breaths per minute is normal for a 3 year old. If he is getting between 40 and 50 he could have pnemonia or asthma, or something similar. Start timing the breaths per minute. That's always a good indicator for me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• A lot depends on his prior histoy of breathing problems, and it sounds like this is a new thing. With it being right here at the holidays, his doc probably won't be available for a while, I'd go to the ER just for peace of mind.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 4:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Thanks for all the helpful aadvice we just got back he has bronchitus but they gave him some good medicine so hopfully lil man will feel better soon! Thanks all! And merry christmas!
    momclark

Comment by momclark (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2010