A question for Christians about extremists...

Do you think the Westboro Baptist Church is a good representation of your faith and beliefs, or do you think they twist Jesus' words of love and compassion into something that wasn't intended at all?

This a spin off from another question in the P&CE section on extremists.

Westboro Baptist Church tries to ruin Christmas too

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• ugg i cant stand them...they represent nothing but hate and intolerance. but thats what all extremists do best, hate those who arent exactly like them and wish them harm.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I don't think there is a single Christian denomination out there that supports Phelps and his brand of crazy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think most religions in the world have their extremists who spread hate and fear. I'm glad to hear so many disagree with them. I posted an answer that I thought the Westboro Baptist Church hated Christmas just as much as they HATE everything else, and got a vote down

I don't think it was your mentioning of WBC that did it but your pointing out that Muslim Extremists do not represent all Muslims just like WBC doens't represent all Christians. The answer that said "keep in mind these are extremists and do not represent all muslims" was also downvoted. There are some rather prejudice ladies over in that other section that hate anything "muslim" and refuse to learn facts but enjoy feeding off falsehoods and propoganda. Oddly enough many of them claim to be Christian
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• sadIt makes me sad that these are the people other associate with the Christan faith. Jesus gave us the commandment to love our neighbors as He loved us. I don't see any sign of this coming from this group of people.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• fred phelps is satan himself. that is all i can say
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think this does not represent anyone and I think that phelps guy is an attention whore using hate and propoganda to spread his own beliefs.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• NO! WBC does NOT represent Christ or Christianity. They don't even represent fundamentalist Christianity.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Of course they are not like mainstream Christians. Anyone who insists otherwise is either uninformed or pushing an agenda. There are extremists for every idea, environmentalism, socialism, religion, whatever the idea, there is someone willing to take it to the killing extreme. These are weak minded people, afraid of their own shadow, and willing to do whatever it takes to convert the masses to their ideas. The very idea of freedom is repugnant to them because it means that people can choose something other their perspective.
    AuroraAFA

Answer by AuroraAFA at 3:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• There are some rather prejudice ladies over in that other section that hate anything "muslim" and refuse to learn facts but enjoy feeding off falsehoods and propoganda. Oddly enough many of them claim to be Christian [kristi]

I've run into that same sentiment from members of my own family. My sister made the comment the other day that she didn't think she could be friends with anyone whose religion wanted to kill her. I simply turned it around on her and said, "So I guess I shouldn't be friends with any Christians since the Bible does say suffer a witch not to live." It gave her pause for a minute and maybe, just maybe I got my point across and something sinks in. 

Oh and about WBC ... they are nothing but inbred idiots with nothing better to do than pretend to be Christian and harass people. Karma will take care of them.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• There are some rather prejudice ladies over in that other section that hate anything "muslim" and refuse to learn facts but enjoy feeding off falsehoods and propoganda. Oddly enough many of them claim to be Christian

That's what's so odd - for all that people insist WBC is nothing to do with their religion, there are some that seem to go out of their way to act and speak just like them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2010