• In the Spotlight:

Hello Everyone! My 10 year old is constantly having trouble with her teeth. She already had two root canals (on her baby teeth) and is looking at having another. I love our dentist, but am really considering getting a second opinion. Each time she's had to have a root canal, it is on a tooth where she's previously had a filling. It's as if she's getting another cavitiy under the filling. Has anyone had this happen or should I be looking for a new dentist?

aquablueangel

Asked by aquablueangel at 10:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Kids' Health

• ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get a second opinion. Sounds like this doc is money hungry. She should not have so many difficulties. You can never be too careful! He sounds like a creeper to me too. I wouldnt trust him.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Is the Dr explaining why this is happening??

To things come to my mind
    A) The filling are falling out...If so why?? OR
    B) The whole cavity wasn't removed to beginning with....If you don't remove all of the cavity and then you cap it...then it's still going to have problems, because the cavity is still there eating way. Does that make sense??

If B is the reason, then I would be looking for a different Dr....If it's A I would be asking if there are different ways to fill the tooth to insure that the fillings don't fall out. (which might also mean seeing a different Dr).
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• This is happening to my mom right now. How weird. My mom also loves her dentist and was questioning why. Her dentist sent her to a specialist. He found the root cause (okay, I couldn't help the pun). Some sort of infection that anti-biotics just weren't working and neither was the root canals and other things being done. Her teeth are a mess. Not for lack of trying. She's dedicated to them. Your daughter may need a referal to a dental specialist to see what is going on. If your dentist gets offended then time to find a new dentist. This is your child and all those procedures are painful, expensive, and time consuming.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• If it were my 11 year old I would. I have a suggestion that may help. Instead of taking her to the dentist take her to a pediadontist. They are the specialty dentists and have had more schooling than your regular dentist. They will also explain more about what is going on and maybe help fix the problem by doing the work right. We absolutely love our pediadontist and he has great rapore with our boys. I hope your daughters teeth get better and everything gets worked out.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• It's not uncommon for fillings to leak. There are a number of reasons someone may have recurrent decay.
    What is her diet like? Soda and juice both contain acids and will decay the teeth very rapidly. How often does she brush? Everyone should brush at least twice a day. How long does she brush? I tell all of my patients to brush at least 5 minutes twice a day-most people only brush 30 seconds. How old is her tooth brush? You should replace toothbrushes every 2 or 3 months. An older tooth brush doesn't remove plaque well. Do you use fluoride? I suggest over the counter fluoride rinses to my patients who are prone to decay.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• you can ask for a second opinion if you wish. you have that right. but my sons dentist did surgery on my sons mouth. because he has autism it is hard to keep his teeth nice. the dentist let us know that baby teeth have very low enamel on them and are easy to rot. Adult teeth have the enamel that is very strong. My son has a mouth full of caps to save his teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If u are very concered about your daughter haveing to have so much done to her teeth then maybe if i was u i would go to a differn't dentist!
    Juliannamommie

Answer by Juliannamommie at 3:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Second opinion doesn't hurt. It seems odd to put that much money into baby teeth. My dentist pulled one of mine and put in a spacer to hold until new tooth came in. I'm not sure how roots and baby /adult teeth work, though. As for the cavities... once the tooth is weakened, it's more likely to have more problems. It's also likely there is something about the location of those teeth that is causing yoru daughter not to brush them properly, if at all. If it hurts, I tend to shy away even though I know that's the worst thing for the tooth/gum.
    Anonymous

• if its a baby tooth get it pulled & get a spacer put in ~ problem solved
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008