Hmm, weird one.

I was on another forum where a girl was 'checking her own cervix' for softness, not trained medically, only 21 weeks. I'm not trying to interfere with her 'ways' of doing things, but isn't that dangerous? Her argument was, if sex doesn't dilate it and a doctor doesn't either, how would 'checking' herself? Anyone else ever heard of this being dangerous? I was pretty positive that touching your own cervix can sometimes cause irritation and dilation...maybe i'm wrong?

DirtBikerMomma9

Asked by DirtBikerMomma9 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes it is dangerous. A doctor wears gloves for more than their own protection. It can introduce bacteria. Even a doctor will tell you that them checking you CAN cause dilation due to irritation to the cervix.
    Anonymous

• @ anonymous, thank you! this girl was really convinced that what she was doing was ok. :-| and i didn't want to be rude interfering but somethings aren't safe. And I was just trying to help.
    DirtBikerMomma9

Answer by DirtBikerMomma9 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2008