Homemade Laundry Detergent Receipe?

For those of you that make your own detergent, what recipe do you use?

badgirl44654

Asked by badgirl44654 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• • 4 cups of water.
    • 1/3 bar of cheap soap, grated.

• 1/2 cup washing soda (not baking soda).

• 1/2 cup of Borax (20 Mule Team).

• 5-gallon bucket for mixing.

• 3 gallons of water.

First, mix the grated soap in a saucepan with 4 cups of water, and heat on low until the soap is completely dissolved. Add hot water/soap mixture to 3 gallons of water in the 5-gallon bucket, stir in the washing soda and Borax, and continue stirring until thickened. Let the mix sit for 24 hours.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Take 1 bar of fels naptha, zote, or ivory and grate into a powder. Simmer on the stove until it's all dissolved.

In a 5 gallong bucket, mix 1/2 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup borax and fill halfway with hot water. Stir well.

Add the soap mixture to the bucket and stir well. Top off with water, stir and allow to sit for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, in a tide bottle, fill 1/2 with soap mixture and 1/2 with water. Put 1/2 cup into each load. It will make 10 total gallons.

Make sure to shake the bottle before each dispense.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Total for all of the ingredients is about $6 and it will make about 100 gallons. It really doesn't take that long.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Sound time consuming. Doe it cost less then buy laundry soap at the store?

Answer by louise2 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I use a bar of Fels, grated and simmer it until it melts. I add 1 cup each of washing soda and borax to the pot on the stove and stir until it gels. Once it does, I fill two one gallon jars almost full of hot water (just hot from the tap) and split the soap mixture between them. As it cools I use a stick blender occasionally to keep it all mixed.

When it's done I have two gallons of gel detergent that costs about $1.50 and does 128 loads (1/2 cup per load). I use plain vinegar in the rinse cycle ... maybe a half cup (I don't measure, just dump it). Occasionally I add a few drops of EO to blankets, towels, etc. I've been using this for the past six years now and won't EVER buy detergent again. My clothes are clean, they come out soft (whether I use the dryer or the wash line), and they last longer since there is no detergent residue degrading the material all the time.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I can get pink zote soap at a local grocery store cheap 2 bars for 99 cents! I have used it in the past for pre-treating stains and handwashing some delicate items. It works pretty good for that. They have Fels-Naptha as well, but it is quite a bit more expensive at around $3.00 for one bar. I am almost certain I can find washing soda locally as it's a rural area with a large Amish population. Can't wait to try these recipes.! And for those of you that might be interested in a powder detergent I saw a recipe this morning on youtube that I'd like to try too. This is the web address to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6nH6uovM4. I have not tried it, but sounds like it might be quite a bit easier, and I don't see why you couldn't make a bigger batch at a time than she did. Maybe even find a food proccesor at the thrift store for a few dollars for just that purpose. I don't have one so I'd have to buy one.
    badgirl44654

Comment by badgirl44654 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2010