What have you done to discourage your little one from hitting?

My 14.5 month old daughter sometimes hits me, her daddy, or the cat with objects. She thinks it is funny. Occasionally she will also hit herself with an object; if it doesn't hurt, she thinks it's funny; if it does hurt, she cries. We have tried some techniques, but would like to hear more ideas to see if we are on track.

LsMamaL

Asked by LsMamaL at 11:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If mine where hitting themselves.... I let it go

Hitting other people result in a time out! Where they had (and still do) have to sit in a certain spot for 1 min. per age. Although the time doesn't start until they are willing to sit.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Also we talk about how we do NOT hit after the time out is done and they have to say 'sorry' to the person they hurt.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• A lot of people will probably disagree with our method. We use the old fashioned spanking. If our 19 month old still hits after a few warnings, he gets a butt whooping. If that don't work its usually because he's cranky and then we put him in time out in his crib for a while. I have used the 1 minute per year rule for time outs before while working in a day care, but at home I prefer not to use it because I don't think it works. My son will just sit out the 2 minutes like its no big deal.
    mcmgirl88

Answer by mcmgirl88 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My daughter she is 15 months and she does the same thing. Sometimes she will even pick up someones dinner plate and THROW it because they wouldn't give her something off of the plate.

I gave her a little swat on her diaper and said "NO" firmly. She laughed and then slapped me.

I don't know what to do either...if you figure it out please PM me. If I figure it out I will PM you.
    marriedw6kids

Answer by marriedw6kids at 1:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i gave my kids one warning and put them in time out one minute per age and i also showed them how to pat the cat and said kitty loves it when you are nice and nice pats make kitty happy,kitty has feelings to.a combination of the two worked for me,consistecy is the key,keep going your on the rite track,if you smack your kids it teaches them only to hit,i know from experience and many other things tried.try a combination and make no reaction,its hard but it works.
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 4:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2008