Just let them be little!

My husband is now complaining that our 3 yr old and 17 month old don't do enough. Thinks our 3 yr old is out of shape. He runs around and plays just find. She's in her weight limit. Our 17 month old just started walking 3 months ago.
He's not even here to see how much they run around and play.
He expects them to act like older children and he;s excuse is well they are "Smarts" (our last name) I said I don't give a rats ass I refuse to raise my children and expect a hell lot of shit out of them. Growing up he's mother forced them into sports they didn't even like.
He has always expected so much out of them especially our daughter. She's 3 and smart as a wipe she can't really talk so now he thinks she stupid just because she can't talk like every other 3 yr old.
Thinks something is wrong with our 17 month old since he doesn't speak in complete sentences.
He says you're suppose to expect a hell of a lot out of your kids and let them know because they will grow up to be lazy and stupid.
Looks like my MIL got to him..... I wish he'll just leave our kids alone for right now and just let them be babies. Not force them to grow up so fast

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• He sounds crazy..no offense. But seriously..that is ridiculous.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Stand your ground on this one - your kids need a childhood, not a set of overdemanding parents. Your hubby should understand this since he grew up with it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:50 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would tell him that just because he grew up being bullied(and maybe belittled) that you are not going to do that to your kids. All little kids need time to be little kids! Don't try to make them grow up too fast, they do that on their own! My son did not talk until he was 2-1/2 and now he talks all the time and is on the A and/or B Honor roll every semester. I hope you can convince your husband to back off a little bit!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 3:55 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Sounds like you guys are a good match, because you balance each other out - your kids probably need both sides; high expectations and understanding.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 3:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Wow does he not remember how his parents hammered him? My mom was like that and when we got away from her it wa great to have our own life again.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Sounds like you are really mad about this. If what he's reacting to is her being at the high end of her weight range, then maybe you could look at her diet and see if it's full of things that are best for her. Not judging, just suggesting! Maybe he needs to work harder at the way he talks to you about this stuff, so you don't feel attacked.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 4:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• This is a good song that talks about the same thing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUKbxbmpcwU&feature=related

This song is too true and brings tears to my eyes. I look at my 22 and 20 year old and think--when did the become men? I look at my 18 month old and then look at my 11 year old and think--wow, they are both getting so big.

I hope you are able to convince him that they can still be productive adults, without forcing them to do things before they are ready.  I mean, giving chores is good, but man, he seems a bit harsh. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would tell him to back off of my children and go find an outlet somewhere else. Is he drinking or is this just how he is all of the time? That is not even rational. Enroll him in a parenting class.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:48 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Next time he brings it up, just ask him: "If you're so SMART, why don't you have the first clue about how to raise healthy children?"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I understand that kids need to be active but making them go into sports they hate and she's only 3! She Won't understand how to play a sport! UGH! He has my blood boiling right now! My kids are active besides right now when is below freezing outside and no sun but when it's nice we go out and play and run around.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2010