Leg cramps

My legs cramp all the I know that eating bananas will help, but what I want to know is if anyone knows why they hurt. My job is very physical. I pick up heavy stuff all the time. I am physicality fit, but I am 35

moduinne

Asked by moduinne at 4:07 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Health

• Are you pregnant? Are you drinking enough water? Try eating some kiwi too! great source of potassium!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 4:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would go with the water thing too. A lack of water can cause major cramps. i usually get them in my legs and feet when i haven't drank enough water.
    myegoisprego

Answer by myegoisprego at 5:50 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I get them awful sometimes. They told me to eat a banana everyday and drink lots of water.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 7:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Thanks I'll try all of your suggestions.
    moduinne

Comment by moduinne (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Bananas will help if the cause is low potassium, but low magnesium is also/more often the problem.

We need a balance of all 3 minerals in our diet to keep muscles strong and supple. Most Americans don't get enough magnesium, because the food sources are conventionally grown (synthetic fertilizers) in soil that has been depleted of its magnesium (the plants get it from the soil, once the it's used up, it can only be replaced by organic material added to the soil, or a magnesium fertilizer -- which is not part of conventional farming).

Add a digestible magnesium supplement to your diet (magnesium citrate, or chelated magnesium). ALSO, get a topical magnesium gel or cream to apply to your skin (too much internally gives you diarrhea - like milk of magnesia). Soak in an epsom salts bath - it will allow your body to soak up its magnesium. And add organic leafy greens to your diet. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2010