So I ask my bf what he thought about marriage and his response was....

"Im going to marry you I just dont know when"... We have been together for about year and half and yesterday he ask me my ring size but in a joking way. He brings marriage up but never really talks about it fully. what does all this mean? I know I'm ready to marry him just can't tell what he wants.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• It means:

he keeps bringing up marriage and not talking about it fully............. Yeah, I know, not very helpful.lol

However the reality is this. No one knows what he means.......except him.

When you ask him directly what he means when he says these things. What is his response?
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• He never gives me a clear answer just yes he wants to marry me but he dont know when.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I agree with Pixie trix.....

You should probably just be very direct, no half questions, just kiddings, saying half what you mean. ( not sure if that's what you're doing ) I know I used to do that with my husband... and until I just said what I meant, and asked questions without beating around the bush, I started getting full answers. Surprise surprise lol. I love it. :D

If nothing else it seems he's interested in the idea of marriage, just be direct and get the rest out of him lol. : ) good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Here's some questions I'd ask to find out when...

When do you want to get married? If he says I don't know, I'd then ask what keeps him from knowing a time frame. Like money, are there things he still wants to do before getting married, just be direct ask him how you can help him to know when he'd be ready... " )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Then that is what he means.

He wants to marry you eventually. However he really isn't sure when that is going to be yet. It could be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now. He's just not sure yet. He could be unsure of when due to many factors: feelings, finances, fears, plans, etc. Only he knows why he isn't ready yet.

Men are far easier to understand than many women think.lol. They give simple answers because, well honestly that's as deep as some of them think..Most men do not speak in innuendos, or speak where you have to interpret or "read between the lines" like many (if not most..,lol) women do. They give simple blunt answers, because that is how they think. However, since we women think much deeper, and in a more complicated manner. Many of us read things into what is said, or try to figure out the hidden meaning. And most of the time, there is nothing to figure out/no hidden meaning. It just is what it is.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Yes I agree with pixie trix my friends bf was going to marry her he kept bringing it up but she could never get him to talk about it after seven years she is leaving him and he does not know why.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Yeah.. what pixie trix said ;)
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 4:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Thanks Ladies, yall have I been a big help. I'm just going to ask him directly what he means.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• OR.....it could mean that he does not want to give you too many details because he wants to surprise you. My dh used to say this to me when we were dating. I even had the "if this is not what you want let me know so I can move on with my life" conversation. His response was "ok, I'll let you know". It was extremely frustrating, but in the end it was because he was having a ring made and trying to plan the best time to ask me without ruining the surprise. We were long distance so he had limited chances.
    I think if he says he doesn't know when, it is different than if he says "not for a long time", "not for a few years". You should just flat out tell him that you want to be married/engaged after x years of dating and if you don't feel like it is happening, then you plan to move on. Then let him work out the details with out any more pressure.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• "You should just flat out tell him that you want to be married/engaged after x years of dating and if you don't feel like it is happening, then you plan to move on. "
    ----------------------------------------
    I agree. My friend did this when her and her now DH started seriously dating. She told him her girlfriend shelf life was only 5 years, and if she wasn't married by then, she would leave. She's always been a really direct person...lol.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2010