If you are on a tight budget are you paying off debt and saving, or just making ends meet?

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• We are making ends meet and very slowly paying off hospital bills from over 2 years ago. That is the only debt that we have.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:46 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• We are making ends meet, paying off debt. When my father's life insurance policies start to pay out we will be completely debt free and have enough to set up savings accounts for the kids.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• No budget
    No debt
    Saving a percentage of income every month
    Make enough for the 2 of us to live comfortably (that's including paying our son's college tuition and apartment cost..which both are paid for out of college funds that have been building up for 19 years.)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:48 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• We have spent the last few years on a tight budget while paying off debt. Our last payment is next month though and a portion of what we were paying will start going into savings.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Bills IS saving money. If you are living paycheck to paycheck you shouldn't put extra money in the bank. You're better off putting all of your money towards bills. Especially back medical bills, credit card bills, etc. You get on bill paid off and that's one bill that you don't have to pay. You get another paid off and again yet another you don't have to pay. Therefore, once you raise yourself out of debt you can then start putting money into savings. Putting money into savings first will not benefit you if you have back bills.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• We are saving a little each week, paying off debt and doing okay - until hubby's mom comes along needing something else.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I postpone debt where ever I can (I work in finance) and pay the rest when due. The place where I work has already cut 15% of its faculty, is on a hiring freeze, had cut two departments, and is cutting more faculty by transferring services to be online. I was already laid off as a bookkeeper a year ago November. So my life is pretty adjusted to adapt to financial change. My daughter is in college is is living from that. I am working to publish a journal to save my and my daughter's souls financially. I am (and always was) a working woman, and have plenty of history to share: a failed business, a grant writer, bank teller, a default aversion counselor and researcher (interesting enough) and still a grant writer for 501-C3 non profits.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 5:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• We are kinda saving, we don't have a buthatof debt, just our house and only 6 years left on that.

Mainly we make ends meet, save enough fo the" oh shits" in life and have a lot of fun
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Done paying debt (except house). Living on a strict budget. Don't have a lot of extra to spend, but that's because I'm in school full-time and doing it w/o loans. I graduate in May, so I hope to get a job after the baby comes in June.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• paying off debt/savings
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2010