would you cook/ eat it?

I had meat (hamburger) that said sell by today.. and it looked nice and red and i didnt smell anything weird when i opened it but i didnt really smell it. once i started cooking it though i though it smelled strange.....? could be from whatever i cooked in the pan last time though ya know? someimes it holds on to smells... anyways, I am cooking soup for inlaws and i hope that we dont all get sick.... woudl you eat it? It got cooked all the way through and the soup itself cooks for 2 hours...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If the meat had a "sweet" smell to it when you cooked it I would not eat it. Otherwise, it could have just been your pan. If I cook anything tomato based or with onions my pan will hold on to that smell sometimes.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• it shouldnt be bad if it said by today and you cooked it today! i would prob eat it as long as it looked good and didnt smell bad.
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would also probably eat it especially if it isone if many ingredients in the entree and not the main one.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 6:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It should be just fine.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 8:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would have scrapped it. I've had food poisoning once and I don't ever want it again. I can most of our food, and process our meat from animals we raise and haven't had any problems in years.

There were a few times I bought meat in the past that I just chucked (wouldn't even feed it to the dogs) because it had off smells. The last was right after they went to that bizarre airless packaging. The stuff looked perfect when I bought it, and didn't smell bad when I opened it, but when I tossed it in the pan and started stirring it the entire inside was rotted. Yuck!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would make that call according to what kind of taste it had.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 2:01 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• ive had that problem once and i was worried about it so i ate some of it myself,i didnt get sick.........but i ate it
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Nope. I haven't had read meat in thirty years...

Answer by rkoloms at 2:30 PM on Dec. 25, 2010