How is inforcing the idea of Santa NOT teaching children that Christmas is all about gifts?

I hear over and over again that the "true meaning of Christmas" is not the gifts. Yet the entire point of believing in or supporting the belief in Santa is purely about Gifts. Santa doesn't sneak in to homes to bring family or to honor Jesus or to do anything besides bring gifts. So how is it that Santa does anything but reinforce the idea that Christmas is all about what you can get, rather than Peace, Love, Family or Religion??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It's a family tradition. If you look at the origional story of who Santa really was and how he came about and tell that story to your children it makes it more meaningful and my answer your question a little better. I'm so tired of people challenging and bashing other people's beliefs, holidays and traditions. I do take it personal. I don't make posts about your religion and traditions so I can tell you what I think of it, and why I think it's stupid.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• OH btw, I don't "enforce" Santa in my household like dresscode or something. It's a fun, light hearted tradition for my family. Nothing wrong with my kids having a little magic in their lives while they are still little.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Okay, first off, calm down, it's just a simple question!
    Secondly, I most likely know more about the origins than you do.
    And Thirdly, I wasn't challenging or bashing, simply asking a question and getting opinions... Thanks for yours, but keep the tude!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• No I won't calm down. It's not a simple question.
    Second, if you did know what you think you know, you wouldn't be asking your simple question.
    And thirdly yes you are bashing and challenging. So if you are gonna post your shit be ready to take it back. Be accountable for what you post.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Ooooo I agree Musicmom...get her! LOL
    Anonymous

• I just love to see how excited the kids are and the joy on their faces while young. My 9 yr old GR-son has no Mother, and his dumb ass Dad told him tonight there was no Santa and No tooth fairy, and brought all his gifts out and and put them under the tree. He was so miserable and sad, not only bec of his Mother, but the joy of Christmas was taken from him as a child, he didn't want to know there was no Santa. He's getting all the same gifts and it's still not the same for him. I did and would have let him like my own children believe until they were old enough and down right told me they didn't believe any more. Oh, he does go to after school in a Church, and does learn the true meaning of Christmas !! What's the harm ?
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• HOLY SHIT LADIES CALM DOWN!!! I don't think that Santa teaches our kids anything. I don't think she's challenging religious beliefs by asking about the educational nature of the Santa myth. It's not like she's questioning Jesus. She just thinks that the idea of Santa does nothing to show our children WHY we buy gifts for one another at Christmas. Which it doesn't.

Santa is just something that may or may not motivate kids to be a little better throughout the year. And it only works around Christmas, because they seem to forget about him the rest of the year. Granted, it's something fun. Just a nice, harmless tradition we tend to uphold because it's how WE were raised.

She's not bashing or challenging. She's just asking questions about the rellevance of Santa to the beliefs she's attempting to instill in her children. RELAX!! Your God is not of issue here.
    frombong2mom

Answer by frombong2mom at 7:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Not a problem in our house. Then again, we don't have the conflict since he's Odin anyway...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think it just varies with the way each family handles the whole Santa thing. We do way more giving than receiving in this house. You're right though, I know some parents that are all about gift gift gift and then wonder how their kids got the same frame of mind. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• How is the story of Santa being told properly about a man who made toys and gave them away to children who had none just to see the excitement and joy on their faces wrong? Santa ENJOYED giving the gifts to the children, thus teaching my children that it's fun to give gifts to others as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2010