Help! How can I get my 14 month old daughter to Stop breastfeeding?!

I've given her whole cow's milk cold, warm, room temp. 2 different types of Enfamil, different temps. No luck! Different bottles, sippy cups and she's only taken it about 4 times out of maybe 20!

nqmochafrappe

Asked by nqmochafrappe at 7:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• tell her your boobies are broke!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Every time she wats a breast hand her a sippy cup.

Answer by louise2 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It really is a matter of condtioning her to get weaned off and start drinking from a sippy cup. It's easier this way and that's why she isn't interested in any other way.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Just stop. She won't cry and whine forever. And I guarantee she won't go hungry or thirsty. Just stick to your guns. And make a huge deal when she is using the cup! It's not easy, but sometimes you just gotta go for it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• why stop breastfeeding let her tell you when she is done it isnt going to hurt you or her and it will benefit her in the long run....
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I thought of that Just stopping cold turkey. I am very good at sticking to things like that but I really did get freaked out when she wasn't really drinking anything for about a whole day! She does use the cup and loves it but mainly for water and watered down applejuice.
    nqmochafrappe

Comment by nqmochafrappe (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

*******************

Breastfeeding should be done if both parties (mommy and baby) mutually desire to do so.

Milk is not necessary. If she'll only drink water, then give her the water. Supplement her calcium needs with cheese, yogurt, and other calcium-rich foods. Offer her milk, but don't freak if she won't drink it. When I weaned my daughter from the bottle to the sippy, she quit milk cold-turkey for a week or two. But gradually, she started accepting milk in the sippy cup. She just had to get used to it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:50 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I just had to cut them off. I would distract them during the day with other activities and at night, I would just lay with them until they fell asleep. After a few nights, they were fine. Just give her milk, no more formula
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:58 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Cold turkey isn't the best idea as it can cause YOU problems besides a cranky kid. Two methods I know of for weaning are as follows: drop one nursing session per week until finished, and don't offer, don't refuse (don't offer to nurse, but if she asks, you let her). Both are gradual methods, and are the best methods I know of, other then child led weaning.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Mine didn't stop completely until she was almost 2 but it was just once a day. I tried to wean her at 16 months and all she did was cry, I knew she wasn't ready.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010