Do you think that people who challenge and argue and complain, about other people's beliefs aren't very secure with their own?

Just a thought, nothing more.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I am very secure in my beliefs and faith. I like to challenge people to think about their beliefs and WHY they believe the way they do. In other words, do you believe the way you do just because that's the way you were raised or have you taken your own spiritual journey and have come to believe the way you do through personal introspection?

Now, I do believe that there are some very rude people who will insult those who believe differently than they do because they are bullies and asses. I am not Christian, but I take offense to the way I have seen others put down Christians for believing in "the invisible man in the sky". That's just rude and there is no call for it. They have called believers in God, any God insane, delusional and several other insulting names.

continued ....
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Nope. I think it's the ones who stomp their feet and yell lalalala I'm not listening that are insecure.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think challenging others is a great way to solidify one's own beliefs. Otherwise, there would never be any religious debate boards LOL
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I also think there are some who are insecure about their beliefs and don't handle themselves well--it becomes more an argument or they're confrontational telling others they are wrong to think the way they do.

You mean like in the other section the Anon poster that is basically trying to tell everyone they shouldn't tell their kids about Santa Claus......
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think the manner in which they handle the debate says more about whether or not they are secure in their beliefs or not than just the issue of them debating it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think many people just like sharing ideas and learning new things. I do anyway. I also think there are some who are insecure about their beliefs and don't handle themselves well--it becomes more an argument or they're confrontational telling others they are wrong to think the way they do. I definitely think that when it becomes personal or people start attacking each other, it's usually because they have nothing valid to contribute and they feel threatened. I've noticed a few people will get 'personal' back on a question, but they don't seem to be the ones who usually initiate it. My beliefs are very fluid and generally open to new ideas, so if something were to be proven that was different than my current beliefs, I'd just change my beliefs. I'm pretty confident in what I currently believe though. I like to debate certain topics, but I respect everyone can come to different conclusions in their beliefs than I did.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• cont.

I have also seen Christians become arrogant and condescending to others that don't follow their belief system. They have even attacked other Christians.

I welcome questions and challenges about my beliefs as long as it is done in an intelligent manner. I do not take it well when someone becomes hateful and rude and I will return their behavior in force.

Sorry for rambling on ... this is one of the things I tend to be very opinionated about.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I think is lack of knowing what they believe is the case... for me I am very secure in my belief in Christ because I have done my reading, my researching which is always continuous and I trust God, Jesus and Holy Spirit .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Could be.

I know most of my religious arguments center around people telling me what my faith and denomination believe. I am content with it, but they seem to not be.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Those who are usually aggressive about what they think/believe (to the point of insult or offense) are usually either over confident that their truth is really THE truth and the ONLY truth or extremely bitter in regard to one specific faith, depending on their experiences with it. There is a difference, though, in merely debating and presenting arguments, etc, in a respectful manner and being aggressive and offensive. There are many on here who can debate, but there are those on here who resort to insult and offense as well. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2010