Do you teach your children not to lie?

I do, thats why we tell the REAL story about Santa. whote lie is still a white lie. Im grateful I was taught about the real santa clause and that he was a REAL man who was religious kind and giving.

That goes with good religious teachings.

Why lie about some fake creature that will eventually be found to be a hoax? Way to teach your children to trust you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• can of worms

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I guess it's time for this question again. Glad I saved my answer from last time:

It's called Imagination. Childhood. Joy. If my son were to come right out and ask me if there is a Santa, I would probably explain it to him, but he's not going to. He's 4 and is so lost in the magic of being 4 that he believes that his stuffed walrus is a real animal and that a magic elf can bring him presents one night of the year. Who am I to ruin that for him? He'll learn the truth eventually, and we will move on.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• i let my kids believe till they dont wanna anymore. But i do teach them not to lie bout things especially if its gonna be harmful. If they do something they get punished but if they lie they get it more
    cherishkids

Answer by cherishkids at 7:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• There is a difference between imagination and a STRAIGHT LIE, Saint Nick was nothing like that fantasy creature. Giving gifts to the needy and poor like Saint nick did is more magical than this "santa claus".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• How many times are we going to post this question from October until now? I'm gonna start counting.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Anon.. every parent raises there child as they see fit. If you choose to raise your children this way then go for it but please... this question is judging how parents teach their children about Santa Claus. I was not taught about the real Santa but I did share with my children the story but I ALSO let them be imaginative and enjoy the fun of Christmas. God gave us imagination and we just need to learn to use it properly.
    Is it a lie about Santa being this jolly fellow? Its no more a lie when you take them to Disneyland and they do not really know there are people INSIDE the Mickey and Minnie costumes? Why ruin that?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• OP, how about you worry about your own children and let the other moms on here worry about theirs. Problem solved!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It is a lie when you never tell your children the truth and they find out at age 12 they have been lied to... yes this is exactly what happened to me. I grew up with a vivid imagination! I loved books and traveling in them so to speak. So when I found out I was crushed and angry. I had be careful not to tell my brothers but they found out soon enough.... from school.... yet guess who got the blame. You got it.. I did... and I never told them anything. So as long as you do not wait too long your fine! Both my boys were told around 8 yrs old but they kinda knew already.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Lighten up... you can teach them about Christ and his love as well as embrace Santa Claus and the joy and mystery of that. btw... I have St. Nick as my background on my homepage.. so no need to tell me ;)
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• To be honest, I don't know any kid personally that didn't just find out on there own eventually. Kids are smart and put the pieces together on their own most of the time. My mom did it with me, and I dont' feel cheated or lied to. In fact my 13 year old is helping me with "santa's gifts" tonight! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2010